Necessary To Use Water In Homemade Mmf?

Decorating By HajraK Updated 3 May 2013 , 9:32pm by HajraK

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 3 May 2013 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 3

Hey all,

I just made a batch of marshmallow fondant using a recipe that called for 8 oz marshmallows, 2 tbs water, 4 cups powdered sugar.

I kind of got distracted while making it and forgot to add in the water to the bowl of marshmallows during the microwaving process. It was only after I added the color, made the ball of fondant and wrapped it up in plastic wrap that I realized I had forgotten to add the water.

Right now, as the fondant sits, I don't see anything wrong with it per se, but it was only my first time making fondan so I am not sure if it will have any effect. I will be using the fondant in about 2-3 weeks time.

Can anyone tell me if adding water to the marshmallows when melting the marshmallows is really necessary to make a good batch of fondant?

I should also mention that I will be combining this homemade fondant with  a batch of premade store bought fondant I had bought a few weeks ago. Would this change anything?

Thanks!

2 replies
ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 3 May 2013 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 3

Whenever I make MMF I add the water after the marshmallows are already melted. It helps to release them from the bowl and I believe it adds a little extra moisture. I also add store bought fondant to mine as well and never have a problem but I have never skipped the water step. If you added a lot of color you may be all right. I think you just want to play with it and make sure that it is not too dry. If it does end up too dry you could try kneading in a little shortening. Hope it turns out all right!! Good luck!

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 3 May 2013 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonDavie 

Whenever I make MMF I add the water after the marshmallows are already melted. It helps to release them from the bowl and I believe it adds a little extra moisture. I also add store bought fondant to mine as well and never have a problem but I have never skipped the water step. If you added a lot of color you may be all right. I think you just want to play with it and make sure that it is not too dry. If it does end up too dry you could try kneading in a little shortening. Hope it turns out all right!! Good luck!

Thanks! No wonder the marhsmallows were so sticky in the bowl! The fondant itself was nice and supple but we will see when it is time to use it. I will definitely add the water in next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%