Threw Out Imbc Four Times Today!!!! Help!!!!

Decorating By dianacupcakes Updated 13 May 2013 , 2:56am by shake n cake

dianacupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianacupcakes Posted 1 May 2013 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 5

Ok so I don't know what the crap happened today. It was an unusually warm day (in the 80s) and we didn't have the air on. I was making IMBC for an order, I have made this frosting sooo many times and had some fails but never FOUR TIMES. I couldn't get the past the stage of pouring the sugar into the egg whites. It seemed like the egg whites were too hot and deflating the meringue. I tried chilling my bowl and egg whites and it didn't help! I wonder if it's because it was a hot day and I was using egg whites from a carton instead of cracking them into the bowl? I have used those egg whites before though and not had an issue. Can anyone advise me? I ended up being really unhappy with the runny icing I had today :( Luckily it was just for my friend's mom but I have an order for the weekend that needs this icing so I need to make it tomorrow to be sure it's ready in time! Yikes. I hope I can do it tomorrow :/

4 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 2 May 2013 , 12:06am
post #2 of 5

I've never used whites from the carton, but many others have said they don't whip up the same.  Did you use cracked egg whites in any of your attempts?

Liz

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 12 May 2013 , 2:11am
post #3 of 5

I usually make mine ahead of time so mine is ALWAYS runny. LOL! I often don't get the egg whites up to peaks and I never wait for it to cool down before adding butter, so I always end up with sweet buttercream soup. I prefer this, because when you put it in the fridge overnight, it stays soft instead of turning into a rock. So when I whip it up to use, I don't have to melt it first! And then once it reaches a certain temperature it starts whipping like magic. No problems.

As long as everything is scaled correctly (and there's no sugar crystals during boiling), then it's just a matter of heating it up if it's lumpy/solid, or chilling it if it's soup.

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 12 May 2013 , 2:13am
post #4 of 5

The carton egg whites have to be shaken really well... I've only had an issue with them once, and I think it was because they'd been in my freezer for several months. If you originally had a meringue, I don't think your hot sugar would have destroyed it...

shake n cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shake n cake Posted 13 May 2013 , 2:56am
post #5 of 5

AI use the cartons as well but I add cream of tartar after everything is mixed up, it'll fluff up nice even in high humidity! Good luck!

Marissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%