Ganache Newbie

Decorating By sixinarow Updated 1 May 2013 , 10:29pm by sixinarow

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:12am
post #1 of 4

I'm hoping some awesome experts can give me some tips on using ganache under fondant. icon_smile.gif

I'm using Toba Garrett's ganache recipe. I stored the ganache in my refrigerator, I let it come back to room temp but it has some lumps in it. Does it usually have lumps of chocolate in it after being refrigerated? Do you just stir it or does it need to be whipped with a mixer before you use it again?

I spread a layer on top of my crumb coat and scraped off the excess with a warm bench scraper and that seemed to help with the lumps, but I'm just wondering if that is the correct way to do it? Do you usually use a crumb coat under ganache or is it an either/or?

I love the look of crisp corners under fondant so I'm playing with it on a couple extra freezer cakes.

Thanks for any tips all you awesome cake artists!

3 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:41am
post #2 of 4

It should not have lumps, they will show thru from your fondant.  If you can stir and the lumps blend in then that's fine, otherwise whip it up to blend everything together until smooth.  Yes I use a crumb coat first.

valerieb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieb52 Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:48am
post #3 of 4

AYou are on the correct path. I suggest after you bring it back to a spreadable consistency, you use a paddle to smooth it.... making sure when you initially make your ganache, you have melted all your chocolate. ( In the future, If you get a good quality hand blender ( not a mixer) and zap it while it is still warm ,you will get a satin smooth ganache. Don't pull it out of the ganache while you smooth it or you will incorporate air bubbles). If you microwave the ganache, be careful to go in short increments, so you get the spread consistency you need.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 1 May 2013 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you! I let it sit at room temp longer and the lumps mixed right out. Thank you for all the tips, I'll try the hand blender on the next batch! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%