Set Lustre Dust So It Doesn't Smudge On Fondant

Baking By HajraK Updated 30 Apr 2013 , 10:22pm by HajraK

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone,

I would like to make about 2 dozen sugar cookies, that I will then cover in fondant and then stencil the fondant with lustre dust.

Is there a way the lustre dust can be set so that it doesn't smudge when the cookies are stacked on top of each other during storage or when presenting them?

Or is this just a bad idea to use lustre dust on fondant covered cookies LOL?

Thanks!

5 replies
AndreasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreasCakes Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 6

You can steam the dust once you have it on.

Heat up a pot of water and wave it over the steam. Don't get too close... fondant doesn't like water.

HajraK Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasCakes 

You can steam the dust once you have it on.

Heat up a pot of water and wave it over the steam. Don't get too close... fondant doesn't like water.

Thanks AndreasCakes..Have you tried this before? I have heard about this method as well and want to even try it on cakes covered with fondant (not with a pot of water but maybe with a steamer/iron) but haven't gotten around to it.

AndreasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreasCakes Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 6

I have. When I color fondant or gumpaste flowers I always set it so that it doesn't smudge the color onto the cake. I just use the pot of water method.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 6

AI have seen them use a spray glaze on the US TV shows which seems to set them as well? Never used them and have no idea who makes them over there but may be worth having a look/asking your supplier? Good luck :-)

HajraK Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%