Doll Cake Recipe - Help Needed!

Baking By dewdee Updated 2 May 2013 , 9:43am by dewdee

dewdee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dewdee Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 6

AHi all, I'm a first time poster in need of some help. I'm making a Communion doll cake for my niece in a couple of weeks.

I've got two worries - first is whether to bake in a dome Pyrex dish, invest in a wilton dome pan (which is prefer not to do! ) or bake a few round cakes and shape the dome myself. What's the best way? If I cook in the pyrex do I risk a very dry or else under cooked cake and can I cut it to fill it?

And can anyone recommend a yummy lemon cake recipe for any of the above methods? I was going to use a lemon curd filling?

All help much appreciated :)

5 replies
KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 6

In anticipation of making my first doll cake, I searched and found this youtube video that I thought was helpful.  It uses regular 8" cakes, stacked.  You may not need to watch the whole video, but the beginning gives instruction on putting the layers together and cutting for the doll.

I never did need to make that doll cake, but if I ever have to, this is the method I'm considering using, particularly as I would probably use a full size doll, rather than just the doll pick that you can buy specifically for doll cakes.

As far as the cake is concerned, you would want a fairly firm cake to allow for the carving.  A lemon pound cake recipe would probably be best.  You can doctor a cake mix (which is what I usually do), or find one from scratch.

HTH!  icon_smile.gif

dewdee Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 6

AKathleen c, thanks a mil for the great reply and the tutorial which looks great. So helpful. Thanks again!

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 1 May 2013 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdee 

Kathleen c, thanks a mil for the great reply and the tutorial which looks great. So helpful. Thanks again!

You're welcome!  icon_smile.gif

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 1 May 2013 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 6

I have baked several cakes in a pyrex like bowl, it works just fine and does not dry the cake out at all.  Make sure you bake at 325 and it takes a bit longer.  You might have to just trim the edges but not a big deal.

This recipe from a CC're is fantastic.  My husband who does not like anything lemon flavored went back for more. 

http://cakecentral.com/a/amazing-lemon-cake-from-a-mix

Good luck!

dewdee Posted 2 May 2013 , 9:43am
post #6 of 6

AOh thanks for the fab recipe. Just what I need!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%