Doll Cake Recipe Needed!

Baking By dewdee Updated 1 May 2013 , 1:47pm by eats

dewdee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dewdee Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 4

AHi all, I'm a first time poster in need of some help. I'm making a Communion doll cake for my niece in a couple of weeks.

I've got two worries - first is whether to bake in a dome Pyrex dish, invest in a wilton dome pan (which is prefer not to do! ) or bake a few round cakes and shape the dome myself. What's the best way? If I cook in the pyrex do I risk a very dry or else under cooked cake and can I cut it to fill it?

And can anyone recommend a yummy lemon cake recipe for any of the above methods? I was going to use a lemon curd filling?

All help much appreciated :)

3 replies
ecb8r2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecb8r2 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 4

I prefer to stack up 4 six inch cakes and then carve it into the dress shape. If you bake it in the dome pan then it usually gets really dry on the outside by the time the middle gets done.

dewdee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dewdee Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 4

AThat's what I would be afraid of ecb8r2. Am leaning towards stacking and carving too. Thanks for the reply !

eats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eats Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 4

AI would suggest stacking and sculpting. Be sure to damn up each layer that you fill, so the layers stay put. Also, do your carving while cake is almost frozen or, very cold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%