How Do I Get My Swiss Buttercream White?

Decorating By carscott Updated 2 May 2013 , 5:04pm by Stitches

carscott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carscott Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:21am
post #1 of 11

I am a newbie and I need the wisdom of the wonderful cake experts on CC.  Swiss buttercream is my love, my passion.  I have converted almost everyone to whom I have introduced this wonderful frosting too.  My problem now is that sometimes I need this to be white.  I have tried  adding white coloring and it did not help much. I was hesitant to add too much coloring because I did not want to spoil the taste or consistency.  Any advice? I have tried googling this and have not come up with anything concrete.

I have seen pictures on here with very white looking SMBC. I don;t know if it was mostly the lighting in the pictures.  Advice please.  Thanks.

10 replies
KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:24am
post #2 of 11

I also love SMBC!

However, I think it's impossible to get SMBC white.  It's the nature of the beast, because the main ingredient is butter.  There are different shades of butter available, but butter, being what it is, isn't white, so neither will your icing be, unfortunately.  It's always going to be ecru at best.  :-)

Apparently there are ways of whitening it somewhat, by using organic uncoloured butter (not sure where to buy this...health food store?), or substituting shortening for some of the butter (but wouldn't that change the wonderful flavour of SMBC?), or adding whitening (Wilton White doesn't work...I've tried it).  I also have used clear "vanilla", but I didn't care for the difference in taste (plus it really didn't help a whole lot) so I went back to pure vanilla.  I've tried mixing it longer to see if it would make a difference (mixing it "whiter"), but it didn't make a huge difference.

Unless someone else has other suggestions, you (and I) may have to resort to using ABC or fondant to obtain that white finish.  :-)

carscott Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 10:39am
post #3 of 11

Thank you Kathleen.  I will definitely try the organic butter and see how that works. I know I will never achieve a pure white but was hoping for something "almost" white so I wouldn't lose that SMBC decadence icon_smile.gif.  So like you said it will be ABC or fondant.

Have a great day!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 11

If you add a few small dots of violet gel/paste color, it will greatly diminish the yellowness.  It will definitely pass for white, unless you hold it up to a pure white piece of paper or cloth--because those are actually a "blue-white" and you can't really get that when you start with a yellow base.

Some people also swap out some of the butter for hi ratio shortening and find that it helps a lot without compromising taste or texture.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 11

I get mine quite white when I need to. I will cut back a bit on the butter, and definitely not add vanilla. The only time I do this is when it's a butter cream only cake, and they definitely ask for white as possible. I will make that batch last, and use it to ice the last outer layer only. (Meaning-there is a healthy layer of flavored bc underneath the final top coat)

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 11

I've done the violet thing, and it really ended up a grey colour, more than white. I wouldn't use that strategy if you're looking for a really white icing.

carscott Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you all for your responses.  My "lab" will be going full blast this weekend.  Let's see what works for me.

PTDixieGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTDixieGal Posted 2 May 2013 , 2:50am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir 

I've done the violet thing, and it really ended up a grey colour, more than white. I wouldn't use that strategy if you're looking for a really white icing.

Me too and it ended up being a greyish purplish off-white.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 2 May 2013 , 3:23am
post #9 of 11

The whitest you can achieve with-out food coloring is to whip it like you'd never believe. I once worked at a French bakery for a day and they whipped theirs for almost an entire hour (maybe even longer). I couldn't believe it, I thought it would be a nightmare, just full of air bubbles.........but darn it, it was very white and very smooth. I recall them making a big deal about having the butter already extremely soft and whipped before combining with the meringue.

PTDixieGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTDixieGal Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches 

The whitest you can achieve with-out food coloring is to whip it like you'd never believe. I once worked at a French bakery for a day and they whipped theirs for almost an entire hour (maybe even longer). I couldn't believe it, I thought it would be a nightmare, just full of air bubbles.........but darn it, it was very white and very smooth. I recall them making a big deal about having the butter already extremely soft and whipped before combining with the meringue.

I'm guessing they used a stand mixer...am I right? Right now all I have is a hand mixer, but would LOVE to have a stand mixer as I hear they are much more reliable.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, you really do need a good stand mixer. It's a necessity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%