Floral Sprays..how To

Decorating By ozlinz Updated 25 Jan 2007 , 12:09pm by ozlinz

ozlinz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozlinz Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 10:06am
post #1 of 6

First post on this site but have found so much interesting information am sure someone will be able to help.
Am making daughter's wedding cake (first attempt but have had practice run with a birthday cake) Two layered mud cake to be covered with white fondant and assortment of roses and small filler flowers.
Was wondering if there are any threads on this site or if anyone can help me on how to wire the various flowers and leaves I have made into sprays. She would like a ''''cascading" effect. Don't have a large shelf between layers as have made 10 and 12 inch cakes.
Thanks in advance!

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 10:29am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to the group! By your name, I am going to venture a guess that you live in the great Down Under.

The place to look for tutorials of any kind on this site is in the New Articles section of the homepage. At the bottom of that list you will also see a link for More Articles. These are older items, but still hold very valuable information, especially to Newbies like yourself.

There is also a Search section in the Forums, Recipes, and Gallery tabs above. The search section in the Forums offers several different options on how the computer will do the searches for you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:08am
post #3 of 6

Not sure how you want to cascade the flowers, or for that matter how you have already wired your sprays together. If you want an effect similar to a bouquet, like a tear drop you need to start at the bottom first, meaning you start with the smallest flowers first then make your trail. You then make your circular shape and wire them both together.

So you start with your smallest flowers then build on it to make it fit in with the circular part at the top. Sort of like a V shape. I would put a real flower tube in the top of the cake, which you can get from a florist, they are plastic as you are not allowed to put wire directly into a cake. You need to do what looks best to you and the bride. This way you don't need to worry about the shelf as you call it.

I learnt how to do this by attending floristry lessons for this particular purpose. So now I can make the brides bouquet as well.

Someone might be able to give you a better idea. But I hope this might provide a little bit of help.

ozlinz Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:01am
post #4 of 6

thanks for that. Sounds like a good idea to start from end of spray and work backwards. Is putting the flowers into a flower tube easier/better than into a ball of fondant on the top of the cake? A 10 inch diameter seems quite large. I think I'd better look at more pictures.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 9:36am
post #5 of 6

You can put them into the ball of fondant but you need to make sure that when you look at the cake you can't see the ball of fondant. You could get away with making bigger flowers to make the flowers fill the cake but you could also down size the cake and have 8 on top and 12 on the bottom, it would still look ok. The plastic tube just allows you to have a handle to make it a bit easier to make your bouquet. If that is what you/she wants. Maybe you could direct us to a picture of the cake your daughter is interested in and then it might be easier to help you.

ozlinz Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 6

Am committed to the 10 and 12 inch as they are sitting in my freezer and there is no way I would attempt a three-layered cake! My daughter is quite relaxed about the whole thing unlike her mother but we have seen too many lovely photos on this site. I think I will have a go at wiring the roses and leaves I have made into sprays and then have a practise go at placing them on the cake tins. Can't find anything in the articles etc about how to do the sprays so will try to use common sense and maybe see if I can find some instructions for would-be florists!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%