Carved Cake

Decorating By lauralee422 Updated 28 Apr 2013 , 3:54pm by lauralee422

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 3

HI GUYS!  I have a request for a communion cake.. simple enough... I'm doing a cross but there are a lot of ppl so, I'm doing and 11x17 pan, 2 layer, and then I'm using the template on this site for no cake loss.. so basically my cross is going to be taking up the 11x17.

My issue is, it's a carved cake and for me to crumb it with ganache and freeze it for 15 min or so to thaw.  Well I can't figure out how I'm going to do this because my cake board which I'm using to serve the cake is too big for my freezer, and if I'm carving it I and crumbing a cake that I'm basically putting together it's going to need to be on it's board (I.E. once it's crumb coating there is no transporting it from one place to another)  Has anyone run into this issue?  Any suggestions?  Thank you!!

2 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 3

Why are you putting it in the freezer?  if it is just to firm up the ganache, that will firm up in the refrigerator.  To make sure it does, up your ratio of chocolate to cream a little if yours remains soft in the frig.  I have had a few cakes that didn't fit in the refrigerator either until I took out all the shelves on the inside of the doors which then gives a few more inches of clearance.  Otherwise, a big box lined with plastic bags and a layer of dry ice in the bottom will work if you really need to freeze it for a short time. (Our Lucky's carries dry ice).  I would not put the cake directly on the dry ice.  It freezes things rock hard!

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 3

ABrilliant idea on the dry ice.. I freeze the cakes for about an hr before carving to make them easier to cut. I also make all my cakes in advance so I freeze them. I also feel like it helps with the texture..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%