Scorched Pokemon Ball Cake

Decorating By mikesmomto2 Updated 25 Apr 2013 , 11:48pm by mikesmomto2

mikesmomto2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikesmomto2 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 5

I am attempting to make a pokeman ball cake for my nephew and I did not have a ball shaped cake pan so I used a stainless steel mixing bowl that made a nice round cake. but.....not knowing how long to bake it and not turning down the heat to allow for the longer baking time I scorched the cake. I trimmed off all of the crust and then put it in freezer to freeze before crumb icing. Am I going to have a hard time icing this cake since it is just the cake with no protective layer?

4 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 5

Just put a good crumb coat on and you'll be fine! icon_smile.gif

mikesmomto2 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you! Im going in. Wish me luck. I AM PETRIFIED! Im having visions of me being up all night after work making another cake! Should I think my buttercream maybe down more? and if so what do you recomend? I have never made it any thinner...thicker yes but not thinner. Someone suggested corn syrup to thin it? How will that effect the taste?

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 5

If the cake isn't crumbly when you take it out of the freezer, you don't need to thin your buttercream. I don't know your buttercream recipe, but I use milk in mine so I just add more milk. Corn syrup would work too, it's just going to be a little sweeter.

The crumb coat covers many, many flaws! If you still see things you don't like after the first crumb coat, put 2 crumb coats on it. You'll be fine! :)

mikesmomto2 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 5

thank you! so far so good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%