Help. Baking Out Of Home In State (Ri) That Does Not Allow It.

Business By cakestatic Updated 6 May 2013 , 2:59pm by sweettales

cakestatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestatic Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone bake out of their home kitchen in RI? I just found out you can not get licensed in my state. Did anyone else have this problem? Even in another state? How did you get around it?

I am looking to just bake cakes and cupcakes by appointment only..... What have you all done? For the most part it will be word of mouth but I would like to have business cards for friends of friend or to hand out at different functions. How far can I go if there is no legal licensing in my state?


All your response will be greatly appreciated!!!

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 4

AOnce you start advertising (word of mouth, business cards, a business web site, etc.) you need to be compliant with food safety laws. Contact your county or state health dept to see what the specific rules are in your area. If a commercial kitchen is required, you can look for a kitchen rental facility or culinary incubator where you can rent by the hour if you don't have the funds to build your own or buy a shop.

You can also contact your state representative and lobby for an expansion of RI's existing cottage food law, which only applies to farmers selling under $2500/year of agricultural products.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 6 May 2013 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 4

If your state does not allow home based baking... then you shouldn't do it... violating the law.  I would look for a commercial kitchen with space to rent.

sweettales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettales Posted 6 May 2013 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 4

AHi Cakestatic, I wish you live closer, I would let you use my kitchen, but is in Dracut, Mass.

Quote by @%username% on %date%