Weight Of Cake Batter.

Decorating By sidcaes Updated 17 Apr 2013 , 9:45pm by cakeyouverymuch

sidcaes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sidcaes Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know how many oz. of cake batter is needed to fill a 2 inch deep 1/4 sheet pan?  I typically only do square or round, so I'm not sure.  Plus I want to make the cake 2 different flavors, so hoping for a bit of a weight guideline.

Thanks!

Lisa

3 replies
Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 4

Are you looking for fluid ounces or ounces by weight?  A 9"x13" pan takes 7 cups of cake batter, so by fluid ounces, 7 cups x 8 ounces = 56 fluid ounces.

Now if you want it by weight, then I can't help you there as different batters weigh different amounts.  A carrot cake batter will weigh lots more than a sponge cake batter.

Here is Wilton's chart for batter amounts for 2" deep pans.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Hope that helps.

sidcaes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sidcaes Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, Spooky.

I typically weigh my cakes out on a scale for uniformity and ease, but haven't done a 1/4 sheet cake yet.  I looked at the wilton sight and see that it calls for 5 1/2 cups of batter, guess I'll just go by cup-wise and weigh it for the future.  The batters are relatively similar in weight, a vanilla and a chocolate, no add-ins.

Thanks again!

Lisa

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 4

You don't need the weight.  Fill your round pans with water to the level you normally use for the recipe you will use for the 1/4 sheet.  Pour that measure of water into a measuring cup.  You now know how many cups of batter your recipe contains.  Using water again measure how many cups will fill the 1/4 sheet to the appropriate level.  You will now have a point of comparison from which to figure out what you need to do to get your 1/4 sheet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%