Cupcake / Muffin Size Issue

Baking By whitexlotus Updated 20 Apr 2013 , 2:12am by auzzi

whitexlotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitexlotus Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hey, I'm having a very difficult time figuring out the sizes of a muffin cup. What is the size difference between Standard, Giant, and Jumbo Muffin liners.

The reason I ask is I'm trying to buy some silicone cupcake/muffin cups and every store seems to have different sizes. I just want to know the ideal dimensions and capability of each size. So far this is what I've found out

Standard: 2.5 inch top diameter, 2 inch bottom diameter, Unknown height (Holds 1/3C batter)

Giant: 3.5 inch top diameter, not sure on bottom diameter, unsure of height  (holds 5/8C batter)

Jumbo: I have no idea maybe 4 inch Diameter top?

I'd like to be able to fit these into aluminum muffin pans of the proper size can someone please clear this up for me?

3 replies
whitexlotus Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 4

I found some baking cups with a 2 inch base and 1-1/4 inch. Do you think these are standard muffin cups? http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/Purple-Foil-Standard-Baking-Cups.aspx

whitexlotus Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 4

I can't figure this out

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 2:12am
post #4 of 4

There is one thing to understand - there is no "standard". Every manufacturer has their own idea as to what constitutes "standard" volume.

Loosely speaking, the "standard" is somewhere between a 3 fl.oz to a 5 fl.oz volume. .. Even it their volumes match, you will find that their numbers [base x height x top] vary hugely . It will depend on what size you like and economics [if you as selling] ..

I don't know what size volume you are aiming toward: but this may help

Wilton Regular [4 fl.oz or 1/2 Cup Capacity]
2".........base.....50.8mm
1 1/4"...wall.......31.25mm
2 2/3"...Top.......67.5mm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%