Stress Free Support System

Decorating By Crissielyn Updated 17 Apr 2013 , 7:25pm by leah_s

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:08am
post #1 of 11

Question for anyone who uses the stress free cake support system.  Can you use regular cake boards with this system or do you need to invest in the acrylic plates?

Thinking about investing in this system, but by the time I have purchased enough legs for 4 tiers at 3" 3.5" 4" and 4.5" I really feel like I have spent enough and the plates are expensive for being just acrylic circles.

Thanks!

10 replies
ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 6:02am
post #2 of 11

AI found this on their site. That set is expensive. Have you looked into the SPS system? Much cheaper.

Do I need to get all new plates? No, you can use them with any flat plate that you may already own.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 7:22am
post #3 of 11

you might want to try the SPS, i agree. inexpensive, easy and successful every time.

Crissielyn Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you for the replies.  I did see the quote about using whatever plate you own on their website, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with just plain cake boards.  The website made me think perhaps they were recommending a sturdier plate rather than a cake board.

I also am thinking about using the SPS, but the thing is that with shipping it still costs about $25 for everything I would need for a 4 tier cake.  After only a few cakes I could have just bought the stress free system.  Plus, I really like to be as green as possible and I try to limit using disposable items.

Still, I am considering the SPS...I saw on the Bakery Craft site that they have new EZ Cut columns which I makes it more attractive then having to get out the saw...

CherylWI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylWI Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 11

I use the Stress Free Support system all the time with regular cardboard cake circles.  I did not buy any of the acrylic plates, and the system works great with the cardboard.

Crissielyn Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 11

I have read so  many threads about how cheap the SPS is, but I am not finding cheap pricing (especially once you factor in shipping).  $40 for a disposable system for one cake just doesn't seem that good of a deal.  I have scoured the web for where to buy these and cant seem to find a good deal.  Also, only one site seems to have the EZ Cut columns which I would really prefer.

Thanks for that info Cheryl!  The stress free might just be the way to go.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 11

Crissielyn - You need to add this in to the cost of each cake that might need it.  For what you should be charging for a cake with that many tiers, you should have no problem adding it in.

Liz

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 11

Did you go to the Oasis Supply site that I reference in all my posts?

leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 11

For a four tier round cake -

One 6" plate, $1.99

One 8" round plate, 2.99

One 10" round plate, $4.19

One bag of the original 9" legs (cut to size)  $12.95

Total $22.19

Also email them  [email protected]  FOR A DISCOUNT CODE.

I would had added $40 onto the price of this cake for "equipment."

Crissielyn Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks Leah.  Yes, I think I have read most of your posts on the topic.  With shipping figured in, its still almost $40 from Oasis, but I have not yet emailed for a discount code so I will do that for sure.  May I ask what you use to cut your columns?  You probably have covered this a million times before, but I cant recall.

I dont charge for my cakes so maybe I am coming from a different view point.  I pretty much only do them for charity, family/friends, and sometimes community events. Perhaps that explains why I was leaning towards a reusable system. However, SPS looks so simple that perhaps I cannot resist.

I want to do a 4 tiered topsy turvy for a community event in June and dont want to have to assemble onsite.  I haven't had any problems with wood dowels before, but dont want to chance it so one way or the other I need a support system.

Thank you!

leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 11

Even if you're giving away the cake, you could get reimbursed for the support system.

I generally never had to cut my SPS legs, but when I did, DH used a chop saw.  I bake and use the Agbay to level so that each tier comes to 4" tall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%