I Need Fondant Help!

Baking By MichelleDW Updated 23 Apr 2013 , 2:30am by SoDak

MichelleDW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleDW Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 7

AOkay so I've never used fondant before and I just bought some satin ice. I'm making cupcakes for my prom group and it's Hollywood themed. I found great pictures on what to do but I don't know what I'm doing with fondant. I don't know how to color white fondant. I have some oil candy color and Wilton's icing colors. Do I need to buy different coloring? And once it's the color I want can I use it right away? And what do i do if i want to have the fondant on top of another piece? Do i paint like water onto it? I need tips desperately!

6 replies
silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 6:21am
post #2 of 7

Use the Wilton icing colors, not the oil candy colors to tint the fondant.  Once you have it the color you want, you can usually use it right away.  If you've kneaded it a lot, you may need to let it sit for a bit.  Also, if you are going for a dark color, it helps to let the fondant sit overnight, as the color will darken.  You can use water as a "glue" to adhere pieces of fondant to each other.  

MichelleDW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleDW Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 7

AOkay thank you! And when I let it sit overnight where do I put the fondant at? The fridge, the counter, or back in the container it came in?

hbee23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbee23 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 7

AWhen I make homemade fondant I keep it in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap until I am ready to use it and then pop it in the microwave for a few seconds until it is workable consistancy! Just not too long or it will get too sticky!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleDW 

Okay thank you! And when I let it sit overnight where do I put the fondant at? The fridge, the counter, or back in the container it came in?

Put a layer of crisco or shortening on it before wrapping it in saran wrap, it'll keep it from drying out. I always double wrap mine in saran wrap and store in an airtight container on my counter or in my pantry, it'll keep for months.  I use marshmallow fondant, don't like the taste of the regular kind! icon_smile.gif

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 7

just wrap your satin ice fondant and put it back in the bucket it came in or another airtight container. also when attraching pieces to each other use the water sparingly, too much will make it gummy. good luck I'm sure your cupcakes will look great! post pics

SoDak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoDak Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 2:30am
post #7 of 7

Left over fondant be stored in the best air tight container of all.  I place it into a Food Saver bag and then let the Food Saver vacuum seal it.  It will last months on the shelf and is soft when reopened. 

I am very new @ using fondant, but find this economical-no waste of an opened box of fondant.

I have also found an alternative, but not as food proof is using Glad Press 'N Seal for storage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%