Who Does This?!? Seriously!!

Business By kvand Updated 11 May 2013 , 1:50pm by PinkCakeBox

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 6:40am
post #1 of 45

So, I was on good ol' FB checking things out when I noticed a new cake decorator in my area.  (Have to check out the new competition) so I wandered over to her page.  All but one of the pictures posted were all cakes I have seen..... on google searches!  All different sites.  SHE STOLE THE FREAKIN' pictures!! It was obvious that the cakes were not created by the same person because the hand piped message was different on the ones with writing.  As simple search of "Wedding cakes" and I found all three pictures she had posted on the first two pages that came up with google and a search of elmo cake and birthday cake brought up the rest. WOW!!

It gets better!

Someone called her on it! (eg. I am so confused.... I was googling to find ideas for cakes and found everyone of your cakes on different sites.... so either all these people are stealing your pictures or you are... <not word for word but you get the drift>)   very soon after that the pictures were all deleted and there was a posting saying that she had to remove them because someone was stealing her pics.  huh?!? The comment that was posted basically calling her out was deleted as well. 

Black and White Wedding Cakes

this is one of the cakes in question..... did you make this cake? 

Well, that's my vent for the evening.  Has anyone else seen this happening?

44 replies
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 9:43am
post #2 of 45

kvand, it's not the first time this has happened and it will not be the last. There was a thread on it about a month ago and what to do it your cake pictures get stolen.  Good to see that someone called her on it.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 11:35am
post #3 of 45

Can you post a link to the FB page, pls?  Or private message me with it??

bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 45

That is why you should watermark your pic's   www.ribbet.com

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 45

AI have a folder on my personal Facebook page that has pictures of cakes I love, and did not do, but I would never try to pass them off as mine! I see the lure that the Internet has on bakers just starting out, with a thin portfolio, they think 'i know i can make this cake, if given a chance' but I would never have the guts to say, "I made this cake," if it wasn't true. It is really sad!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 45

Someone in my town does it too . . .  they just posted a picture of a "breakfast cupcake" last week.  I was eating at a diner across the street when the photo came across my FB feed.  After breakfast I walked over to take a look, and the finished product and the photo bore no resemblance to each other.  The one in the photo was a hash brown cup, filled with scrambled eggs, a dollop of sour cream and some caviar on top.  I think one of her FB fans caught this, and asked "what is that red stuff on top" and the baker answered "salsa". :)  And the ones she made had no sour cream or "salsa" on top, and looked nothing like the photo.

Same baker does copyrighted cakes ALL the time, so she must not think there is anything wrong with grabbing a photo off the web and broadcasting it as her work.

Liz

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 45

I haven't seen any decorator on my FB do this, but I've seen it done on websites and the like.  I've also seen people pad their portfolios with such photos.  They get hired and then are unable and utterly lost when it comes to executing anything in said portfolio.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 45

A

Original message sent by embersmom

I haven't seen any decorator on my FB do this, but I've seen it done on websites and the like.  I've also seen people pad their portfolios with such photos.  They get hired and then are unable and utterly lost when it comes to executing anything in said portfolio.

That's why most interviews will ask the candidate to decorate a cake during the interview, to judge both efficiency and precision.

Regarding copyright infringement, here is some info on how to report it on FB. Note that you are only allowed to report infringement if your copyright is being violated, which is why it's important to notify the copyright owner (if you know who they are). https://www.facebook.com/help/400287850027717/

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

That's why most interviews will ask the candidate to decorate a cake during the interview, to judge both efficiency and precision.

The person who hired the decorator in question, shall we say, wasn't too swift when it came to realizing that there were certain prerequisites the decorator needed (it obviously wasn't the manager who did the hiring, otherwise this decorator would have never been hired in the first place).  The decorator lasted maybe a week.  I felt badly for her because she was THAT desperate for any kind of job; OTOH, she never should have been hired in the first place.

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 45

Thanks for the responses everybody!  I have definitely taken away from this that I need to watermark my pics. It's really  sad that a person feels they need to do that.  If they don't have enough cakes to represent their work they should probably be working on building their portfolio (the legit way) like the rest of us before jumping into business after their first couple of cakes.  When I get to the point of hiring my first employee I will definitely be asking them to decorate a cake for me!

Annabakescakes - I love your work! I think it is totally one thing to put a folder on your PERSONAL page of Cake I'd LIKE to make.... but to set up a business page with nearly all photos of other people's work is so wrong.

I'd post a link to the page but she deleted all the pics so its really not anything worth looking at..lol.  The one remaining picture appears to be someone's wilton fondant class cake.  It's a great first try but the bow is floppy and the fondant is ripply... like I said... great for a first time but not sale-able quality.

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 45

AThank you so much kvand! Like most others on here, it is truly my passion!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 10:11pm
post #12 of 45

There's no reason to put them on your personal page either....I am a big ole grouch about this! With the share option, or just plain old fashioned linking, there is no need to physically save the picture to your computer, give it a file name, and upload it. There isn't. It's just a slippery slope, and easily avoidable. Since I got my nice watermark/logo, I haven't found my pics anywhere they shouldn't be either.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 45

AThat's what Pinterest is for, saving photos of cakes you like!

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 11:58pm
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

There's no reason to put them on your personal page either....I am a big ole grouch about this! With the share option, or just plain old fashioned linking, there is no need to physically save the picture to your computer, give it a file name, and upload it. There isn't. It's just a slippery slope, and easily avoidable. Since I got my nice watermark/logo, I haven't found my pics anywhere they shouldn't be either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

That's what Pinterest is for, saving photos of cakes you like!

Gaw, I think it was about a year after I got my own computer, and when I first got Facebook. I didn't know a thing about linking, lol. And FYI, Pintrest is pretty new! lol. It has been at least 7 years, but how many times have you clicked a link you saved only to get a 404, or 401, error, or whatever? "This link does not exist" If you see something you really want to see again, they only way to guarantee it, is to save it on your computer.

And the folders are named "cool crafts" "cake inspiration" "architecture" (for when I build my dream house, LOL) "landscaping" "quotes" "books to read"  .....Slippery slope, my A--, I know darn good and well that is not my house, that is not my  yard, those are not my walls, furniture, or cake. As does anyone else who is a "saver". If a picture is posted as your own, you did that with purpose.

And, when a picture is provided via attachment in email, it is impossible to link to it, unless you can find it online, or you post it somewhere. So, it goes in a folder, on my computer. Not Facebook.

jason_kraft Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:06am
post #15 of 45

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

how many times have you clicked a link you saved only to get a 404, or 401, error, or whatever? "This link does not exist" If you see something you really want to see again, they only way to guarantee it, is to save it on your computer.

If the image is no longer available, it means the copyright owner does not want it to be publicly available anymore, which is their right. Unless you have an explicit agreement or permission from the copyright owner you do not have the right to copy the image and publicly display the copy.

I know darn good and well that is not my house, that is not my yard, those are not my walls, furniture, or cake.
The issue is not whether you think you own the copyright to the images you copy, it is whether visitors will think you own the copyright.

Annabakescakes Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:13am
post #16 of 45
Quote:

If the image is no longer available, it means the copyright owner does not want it to be publicly available anymore, which is their right. Unless you have an explicit agreement or permission from the copyright owner you do not have the right to copy the image and publicly display the copy.
The issue is not whether you think you own the copyright to the images you copy, it is whether visitors will think you own the copyright.

I don't have "visitors" on my personal page. I have friends. And, like I said, that was years and years ago. The folders are on my personal computer, not on display. Sorry to not clear, I edited.

jason_kraft Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:21am
post #17 of 45

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I don't have "visitors" on my personal page. I have friends. And, like I said, that was years and years ago. The folders are on my personal computer, not on display. Sorry to not clear, I edited.

Unless you restrict your web page (for example, with a username and password) it is considered available to the general public.

If the copies of pictures are saved on your own computer for personal use that should not be a copyright violation.

Annabakescakes Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:38am
post #18 of 45
Quote:

Unless you restrict your web page (for example, with a username and password) it is considered available to the general public.

If the copies of pictures are saved on your own computer for personal use that should not be a copyright violation.

They are not on my webpage, I only have my own pictures, I personally took, of my own cakes on my webpage. And 3 or 4 pictures of a wedding, and the bride and groom own the pictures, and gave me permission to use them.

Yes, saved on my computer, not Facebook or web. There is a folder with about 7 or 10, IDK, pictures on my PERSONAL Facebook page, not affiliated with my business, that I uploaded years and years ago, and it says something about being pictures of cakes I would like to do, and that I saw online, or whatever, and credits the baker.

Before I sent this, I went and looked, and my tastes have changed so much since then, I deleted all but 3 of them.

kikiandkyle Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:04am
post #19 of 45

AI've shared a couple of cool cakes on my personal Facebook page, which is so private my own mother can't even see it, and made it clear that they are not mine. I think most of us have done that.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:05am
post #20 of 45

I've had people steal photos from my website that were watermarked and put them on their sites with the watermark still on them. People are dumb.

An FYI about pinterest...their terms of service say that if you pin anything you're saying that you have the right to use that photo. So if the copyright holder sues them you've basically agreed that you'll take the blame for the copyright infringement, which pinterest is basically a playground for. Even linking back to the original source isn't enough, I know of a blogger who is being sued by a photographer whose photo she used with attribution on her blog. WIthout the permission of the original copyright holder you're really not supposed to be posting anything regardless of whether the website (pinterest) makes it easy to do or not.

Annabakescakes Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:07am
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

I've shared a couple of cool cakes on my personal Facebook page, which is so private my own mother can't even see it, and made it clear that they are not mine. I think most of us have done that.

My mother can't see mine either...I don't need that drama!

ldnursetx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ldnursetx Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:13am
post #22 of 45

How do you watermark the photos? I am like Annabakescakes and have a folder of cakes I wish I was good enough to make, but I make sure I give credit whenever possible and make sure I have the artist permission.

costumeczar Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:17am
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldnursetx 

How do you watermark the photos? I am like Annabakescakes and have a folder of cakes I wish I was good enough to make, but I make sure I give credit whenever possible and make sure I have the artist permission.

You can jsut use the paint program on your computer or photoshop to write your name across the photo. The fact is that if someone wants to remove it they can if they try hard enough, but most photo thieves will just move along to the unwatermarked ones.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:18am
post #24 of 45

Also, I think it is important when you are watermarking, that you plaster that watermark right over the front of your cake, in an area that it can't be photoshopped out without distorting the image.

I too often see cake photos that have "watermarks" on them, and the watermark is in a remote corner.

Which is very easily cropped out.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:54am
post #25 of 45

ATotally agree with plastering the watermark right smack across that cake.

kikiandkyle Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:57am
post #26 of 45

AI saw something on Facebook today where a very popular baker had their photos stolen and the watermark was so easy to just cover up with another (what the pic thief had done).

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 7:58am
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG 

Also, I think it is important when you are watermarking, that you plaster that watermark right over the front of your cake, in an area that it can't be photoshopped out without distorting the image.

I too often see cake photos that have "watermarks" on them, and the watermark is in a remote corner.

Which is very easily cropped out.

Oh yes!!!

Here, this is MY photo:

http://www.patacake-parties.com/images/Birthdays/Arsenal%20football%20top%20cake.jpg

Now, take a look at this cake photo on another cake maker's website....  watermark been cropped out but I am certain without a trace of doubt this is MY cake and yet despite contacting them, they refuse to take the pic down!

http://annsbakery.ie/our-cakes/birthday-novelty-cakes/

(scroll down to Arsenal jersey cake)

I'd be very interested to see if you all agree that they have simply taken MY cake photo to use on their site?

I now know better - that was from 2007!! 

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 9:42am
post #28 of 45

It is absolutely the same photo. Unfortunately, especially in another country, there is not much you can do. It looks like a lot of variance in skill level among their cakes. Perhaps yours is  not the only one they have appropriated? You would think that after "100 years of baking," they would have plenty of pictures of their own.

costumeczar Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 10:23am
post #29 of 45

AYes,it's the same photo. You can send a DMCA takedown request to their web host if you want to really get them to remove it. You have to find the web hosting information form whois.com then contact them with th right forms, but most ISP sites have a section on what information they need. It will seem like a lot but it's a legal thing and they have to have everything in a certain format.

Annabakescakes Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:13pm
post #30 of 45

A

Original message sent by Relznik

Oh yes!!!

Here, this is MY photo:

[URL=http://www.patacake-parties.com/images/Birthdays/Arsenal%20football%20top%20cake.jpg]http://www.patacake-parties.com/images/Birthdays/Arsenal%20football%20top%20cake.jpg[/URL]

Now, take a look at this cake photo on another cake maker's website....  watermark been cropped out but I am certain without a trace of doubt this is MY cake and yet despite contacting them, they refuse to take the pic down!

[URL=http://annsbakery.ie/our-cakes/birthday-novelty-cakes/]http://annsbakery.ie/our-cakes/birthday-novelty-cakes/[/URL]

(scroll down to Arsenal jersey cake)

I'd be very interested to see if you all agree that they have simply taken MY cake photo to use on their site?

I now know better - that was from 2007!! 

Without a shadow of a doubt, that is your cake! Looks like we need a cake central email campaign! Should we all use our own words, or does someone want to write up a form letter, to make sure it is kept Kosher? Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%