Newbie To Forum And Decorating!

Decorating By anaelisabethlee Updated 9 Apr 2013 , 6:18pm by kazita

anaelisabethlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anaelisabethlee Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 14

Hi, I am hoping for some advice please.  Used fondant only once before and it turned out a little elephanty and dusty!

(I looked around for another topic to avoid you guys having to repeat yourselves but didn't find one, so sorry if there is one.... :) )

I am making cake for my son's birthday, with a cars theme. It's going to be oblong. I want to put cut out fondant pieces down the side. Should I let these pieces dry the night before and then stick them on, or stick them on fresh? Same as the top pieces (a large 2) - should that be hard and dry or would it be better to add it on while it's still pliable?

Also, what's the recommendation - icing sugar really made it dusty, is there anything else? if not, how do I get rid of the dusty look?

Thank you

A x

13 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 14

Welcome to CC Ana...  If your fondant was tough and wrinkly like elephant skin then it was dry.  Using some vegetable shortening should do the trick.  I take a dolope in my hand and knead it into the fondant. 

I would put my fondant pieces on fresh so they can mold and take the shape of the cake.  

I am assuming you used the sugar to roll out the fondant, you can also try the shortening instead.  I have the mat and use it so I don't get the dry powdery look, and to remove the dusty residue, just take a large make-up brush (clean one obviously) and just brush away the powder.  If you want it to be shiny, brush on some water but remember that the water will also make it sticky in the end so be careful.

Good Luck, don't forget to post a pic AND Happy Birthday to your son.

Lea17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lea17 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 14

AHi! Welcome to CC - I love this place, had so much help from everyone :)

I don't use icing sugar as I feel it leaves like a grain feel to the fondant and also dries it out a bit! When I'm working with dark colours I usually use trex/shortening to stop the sticking which no find works well and with light colours I use cornflour/corn starch as that is quite soft and rubs off quite easily too :)

anaelisabethlee Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 14

AThank you so much for the replies!

Have you got any tips for lifting the pieces from the mat so they don't disfigure or tear?

Trex? What is this? By the way I'm in the uk so we don't get all these brilliant American cake decorating things over here :(!

Ana x

auntginn Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 14

I thought you might be in the UK.. We have quite a few members from the UK so I'm sure you'll still get all the help you need.  I believe our Trex is equivalent  to CMC?? Not sure will have to look on some other post first.  

I don't lift the fondant from the mat, I peel it off.  Just pick up the mat and roll it away from the fondant piece.  Its really quite easy.

Lea17 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 14

AI'm in the uk, and I got my trex from tesco's :) it's just like lard lol

Lea17 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 14

AIt looks just like lard I meant to put lol

anaelisabethlee Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 14

AOoh cmc I'll have a look thanks :)

Yes, rolling the mat seems more sensible... You can imagine my frustration (and the result!) of trying to scrape it off with a knife!! Duh!

X

anaelisabethlee Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 14

AAh, thanks Lea!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 14

ALard and shortening are two different things please don't use lard it's gross. I'm in the Us I've looked it up it says that Trex is shortening that's what you want to use. Welcome to cc.

Lea17 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 14

AYeh, I was meant to put it LOOKED like lard lol its cos I'm on my phone

auntginn Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 5:33pm
post #12 of 14

Oh sorry, I thought TREX was what we call tylose or tracacangh I see now it is not.  Your CMC is a powder which helps to dry fondant like gumpaste.  I think you call this sugar paste.  lol   I thing someone should make a list of all the differences in our wording.

Lea17 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 14

ALol I get confused with the different wording myself too ;)

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 6:18pm
post #14 of 14

AYeah I was posting the other day and someone asked me what shortening was lol I was like its shortening, she was from the Uk so I had to google what shortening is called in the Uk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%