Hate Cake

Decorating By micaelasmami Updated 20 May 2013 , 5:32am by MsNeuropil

micaelasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micaelasmami Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 1:02am
post #1 of 19

I hate when I get so depressed and stressed out from making a cake.  Some cakes are so easy and I feel great about them afterwards.  I made one tonight and I don't even want to give it to the lady tomorrow morning. icon_sad.gif

18 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:03am
post #2 of 19

remnant is right. We are our own worst critics.  Post a pic.  More often when I don't like a cake its because of the stress I was under to complete the job or get the design just right.  But always I see flaws. Human nature.

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:40am
post #3 of 19

ADitto bet it looks great!!!!!:D

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 4:18am
post #4 of 19

I hear ya!  I'm feeling the same way tonight.  I'm actually remaking one because I was so unhappy with it.  :/

Letty38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letty38 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 10:45am
post #5 of 19

AI felt like that yesterday. Today I'm seriously considering giving her a refund :(

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 19

Fortunately I am a hobby baker and happy to remain so as I don't have the pressure of the expectations of a paying customer. That being said there are cakes I have made that I have been so disappointed with to the point I will not take a picture of them but with every cake that I have hated the recipient and friends have been delighted and given such positive feedback and me being me think it's because they think I am fishing for compliments which I am not. I am often told that they can't see what I see. A cake I was convinced nobody would eat because it was just slightly undercooked was wolfed down.

I know it is harder if the offending cake is for a paying customer because you really want it to be the very best for personal as well as professional reasons. If you really are worried, don't say anything until the customer does and then apologise and offer a fair refund. The reason I say this is because they just might love the cake and not see what you see.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 19

I always find the flaws in my cakes, but my customers love them.  I am a home baker, it's my paid hobby.  We need to go easier on ourselves...no easy task.  Don't offer the refund unless there's a complaint.  Find out...

I did a cake I was sure wouldn't taste good.  It was cute but imperfect.  People who don't bake and decorate regularly appreciate and love the work of bakers.  The customer was so very happy.  It made me realize I need to see it through the eyes of a non-baker.

auntginn Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 19

Oh yes, its easy for me to find every imperfection on my work.  Last week I posted something I made for my family at Easter, on a post.  I could see that it left alot to be desired as a good piece of work.  But I got compliments from my fellow cakers and it made me extremely happy.

Was it perfect?  No, but they were looking at the creative side and that's what people see.

Letty38 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 19

AToday I received a text from my sister and it said her friend told her that they got lots of compliments on the cake and cupcakes.. I am so relieved! :)

auntginn Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 19

Letty, Good Job!! post a pic

Letty38 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 19

AThanks auntginn! Keep in mind I'm a beginner and the bottom tier was supposed to be in color but my airbrush gave out during the top tier ...

Momof5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof5kiddos Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 19

Very nice. I love the hot pink :)

auntginn Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 8:43pm
post #14 of 19

Very nice!! Yes you did a great job.  Darn those airbrushes... I have to replace mine.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 10:21pm
post #15 of 19

Now breathe thumbs_up.gif

Letty38 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 7:56am
post #16 of 19

AThanks :)

quiltedlily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quiltedlily Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 12:45pm
post #17 of 19

AI am a former quilter, and the same advice goes for cakes as for quilts. I made some quilts that I thought were full of errors and wanted to rip them up. others saw them and were totally impressed - they didn't see the mistakes I could see, all they saw was a perfect quilt. so take a step back, look at the cake, and try to see it thru others' eyes, and appreciate the job you have done!

lele90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lele90 Posted 19 May 2013 , 11:34pm
post #18 of 19

i think its great! but ii had the same problem all weekend! i just wanted to cry and i felt sick after i dropped off the cakes! i have been so down about them i feel like just quitting all because of these cakes this weekend!

MsNeuropil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsNeuropil Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:32am
post #19 of 19

I made my sons wedding cake last summer...and I was so worried that his bride and her family were going to be disappointed or even think my cake was silly since the bride told me she wanted me to surprise her.  She didn't want the cake to look like a wedding cake...and she didn't want it stacked or to be in tiers.  My sons famous words were..."Mom if we wanted a wedding cake we could pay buy one...but we want your cake." 

HUMMM...what to do?  Stupidly I thought why not make a tall tower...1 tier Garden Cake Buttercream flowers all over the sides.  My inspiration was from the UK of all places...LOL!

Well...it turned out close to what I wanted...but I thought it should be more like a wedding cake.  I was so depressed thinking about the brides family seeing my "surprise".  I figured no matter what my soon to be DIL said...she probably did want a "wedding cake"...but she thought my son didn't want one. 

I guess I was being too critical, because the bride loved it and my son was so happy that I didn't care what her family thought.  Best part of it all...I didn't have to worry about someone paying me for something they didn't want. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%