Edible Icing Images - Are They Halal?

Decorating By sugarcoat me Updated 6 Apr 2013 , 2:56am by kikiandkyle

sugarcoat me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcoat me Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 9

Please help!  I have to make a cake for a Muslim customer and everything has to be halal.  She has requested a design which incorporates either printed edible images or a bucket load of hand painting :)  Does anyone know if the Kopykake icing sheets are halal?  And what about the inks for my Canon printer - would they be halal?

Thanks in advance for any advice given and info shared.

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 9

wow--and the kopykake website is down for maintenance

are the ingredients listed on the package??

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 12:07am
post #3 of 9

They are Kosher. When I worked at a Biggs grocery store, we had a Kosher Bakery, and Kosher Deli, and their were Muslims and Jews buying beef and rolls, side by side.

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 12:14am
post #4 of 9

Halal is a term used primarily for products that contain any type of meat/chicken etc. Also, any products that contain animal-based ingredients. I know Muslims don't eat anything containing gelating, including Jello, since gelatin can be beef or pork based.

I don't think icing sheets contain gelatin, so you should be fine :)

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 12:30am
post #5 of 9

AThis one time I had a couple that wanted to know if my wedding cakes are halal and they demanded a list with all my cake ingredients, I just told them my cakes don't have gelatin in it and they still wanted that list so I just said no and they searched another bakery. I'm not saying everybody is like that but it is a bit risky, cause maby somebody will tell them cakes do have gelatin in it and then they will become mad at you!

disastrophe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disastrophe Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 1:56am
post #6 of 9

I would be cautious about the edible ink.  If it has any form of alcohol in it, then it won't be halal.  Likewise if it has glycerin in it, because that can be extracted from either vegetable oil or animal fat. 

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:38am
post #7 of 9

AUm, it also has to be CERTIFIED Kosher or Halal. While I don't believe in that for my religion, or whatever, it is EXTREEMLY serious that you don't mess about with guessing in other people's religious customs.

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:40am
post #8 of 9

ABTW, it's not just meat, it is everything.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:56am
post #9 of 9

AThe only way to know is to contact the manufacturer. You surely won't be the first person to ask.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%