Is There Any Way To Doctor Up A Cake Mix To Make

Decorating By MerlotCook Updated 5 Apr 2013 , 12:56am by cakesbycathy

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 12:39am
post #1 of 3

A 10" round tier that is 4" high? I have never used mixes before, but I am desperate (and out of time!) so I'm trying it. I'd really rather not go to the grocery store. I have 1 box of mix left after my other 2 tiers which are different flavors. Thanks for any ideas. 

2 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 12:47am
post #2 of 3

I'm not a mix user, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to.


I know that's a popular doctored mix, and she says it will produce enough for 2 8" rounds. I read through a couple of the extender recipes on here as well, and none of them would produce enough either.


You can do a search for 'mix extender', and a number of recipes pop up, I just scanned a couple, but not all of them.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 12:56am
post #3 of 3

A1 18 oz. box mix will give you one 2" high 10 inch round. But since they have shrunk the size of the mixes you really need 1 box mix plus extender to give you a 10 inch round that is 2" tall. You'll need another cake mix to be able to do a 4" tall cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%