How Much Do I Charge??

Business By evelynh1 Updated 3 Apr 2013 , 11:01pm by evelynh1

evelynh1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evelynh1 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 16

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2968988/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

I will be making this cake for a friend soon and have no clue on how much to charge her. I have already made this cake just for practice, I need help!!! I don't want to under charge her or go overboard!! This is a 9" cake.

15 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 16

Cute cake.  What is the cost of your ingredients?  That's usually the best way to start.  Then add whatever you would like to  that initial cost to make a profit.   I'm assuming your kitchen is legal. You may be about to be inundated with people on this website who will discuss the merits of having a certified kitchen.  

I usually charge my friends for ingredients + $20 or so.

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 16

That's very cute.  :-)

I would probably charge a friend around $40-$50 or so for that, depending on how much time you put into it.  Unless she expects it for free, I don't think that's unreasonable.

evelynh1 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 16

AI would definitely not do it for free!! $50 is what I had thought but I didn't know if that was reasonable.

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 16

My charge would be $85

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 16

I would charge at least $75.00

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 16

AVery cute cake, nicely done ( other than the cardboard its placed on your cake looks very nice. ) after coming on this website and looking at all the beautiful cake boards or cake drums that people use I now have a pet peeve about the regular plain cake cardboard, however being that you are doing the cake for a friend you may want to go the most cost-effective cakeboard. We can only assume that your kitchen is legal to sell baked goods from....All that being said I would charge like what has been said your ingredients and $20 unless of course your friend is expecting it for free. Again very cute cake. HAPPY BAKING

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 16

This is exactly what makes those of us with overhead crazy.  By all means charge your friend whatever you want to charge her, but tell her you are doing it basically for the cost of ingredients, AS A LABOR OF LOVE!!!!!!!!  If I were selling it from my commercially licensed kitchen where I have to take into consideration real costs like licensing, rent, the phone, water and electricity bills, emptying the grease trap,  etc. it would be closer to $200.00 or a bit more, but as long as people think it is worth $75.00, it makes it really hard to charge even enough to cover costs.

I just asked the gal who pays (pretty low) rent to use my kitchen what she would charge and she also said around $200.00.   Just saying....  It's nice to do your friend a favor, but make sure they know this is not what it should cost in real life.

evelynh1 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 16

AYes, my kitchen is legal!!! And I agree with you on the board my cake was put on, but since I was just practicing I used it, but I will be using different!! And thank you for all the help!! I really do appreciate it.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsacake 

This is exactly what makes those of us with overhead crazy.  By all means charge your friend whatever you want to charge her, but tell her you are doing it basically for the cost of ingredients, AS A LABOR OF LOVE!!!!!!!!  If I were selling it from my commercially licensed kitchen where I have to take into consideration real costs like licensing, rent, the phone, water and electricity bills, emptying the grease trap,  etc. it would be closer to $200.00 or a bit more, but as long as people think it is worth $75.00, it makes it really hard to charge even enough to cover costs.

I just asked the gal who pays (pretty low) rent to use my kitchen what she would charge and she also said around $200.00.   Just saying....  It's nice to do your friend a favor, but make sure they know this is not what it should cost in real life.

Thank you! I can't believe all the "family and friends discounts" threads I've seen in here recently too. Makes me reallllly glad that my friends all make their own cakes, so when I get paid for something, it's full price. 

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 10:00pm
post #11 of 16

AJust wanted to say great cake! :) Don't have an idea on pricing, though you got a range of ideas already.

evelynh1 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 16

AWell wen you put that way I now feel like I'm going to go broke pretty quick!! Thank you for helping me!!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 16

AOn than if you are legal and your cake is very nicely done than by all means explain to your friend how much you charge per severing and how much you would change a customer for this particular cake, than if you give your friend a discount on the cake hopefully your friend will appreciate the cake all the more.

Being that you are operating from a legal kitchen and by how nice of a job that you did on your cake than you need to charge everything out from ingredients to your time to the cost of using your kitchen. You could go broke by under pricing yourself.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 10:18pm
post #14 of 16

AAgreed...on the invoice you should quote the full price based on your normal costs and markup (this would be around $150 for us) minus whatever discount you decide to give your friend.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 10:51pm
post #15 of 16

I would charge $120, myself.

evelynh1 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 11:01pm
post #16 of 16

AThank you all so much for all the comments!! I now have an idea on how much I should charge!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%