Newbie Needs Your Help :)

Decorating By Homemadebytz Updated 3 Apr 2013 , 7:32pm by Homemadebytz

Homemadebytz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemadebytz Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone ... I have been lurking for sometime and recently signed up. You all do amazing amazing work and I hope to be half that good some day.

I am brand new to cake making/decorating I love it and enjoy it so much but have only been doing a few at home and for friends.

Anyway my question is .. I am making my first 2 tier cake for a party and it will also be my first time using MMF or any fondant for that matter. 

Any absolute must do/know tips you have for a beginner who has had no training?

Also do you think I should just go with buttercream and smooth it out like crazy then decorate or should I try the fondant. I want the cake to be clean cut looking (Its a chevron style cake). 

Another question- do I decorate then assemble there or should I put it together then take it to the location, I have done a 2 tier at home and didnt use dowels (it was a really small cake tho) but I hear you have to use those .. I am sooo confused and nervous about this and I just want it to look good.

Please please please I need help and I will greatly appreciate any help you can give. 

Sorry to be so desperate .. but I could use some guidance lol Thank you guys!!

5 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 6

I think you should decorate with a very smooth buttercream and then make a chevron pattern out of fondant and attach it to the buttercream, so that some of the chevron is fondant and some is buttercream.  I hope you understand what I am saying.  Covering an entire cake with fondant takes practice and if it's your first time it might be a frustrating struggle.  I personally have sworn off covering cakes with fondant, at least for now!icon_biggrin.gif

Definitely separate each tier with a cardboard cake circle.  Most people put a dowel in the center.  I just dowel both cakes evenly with no center dowel.  I use thick bubble straws so that I don't have to cut wooden dowels.  

If it's a 2-tier cake, assuming it's 4 layers, you should be able to put it in a box and transport it easily, although it will be heavy.  I use rubber drawer liner under the box for a non-slip surface while driving.

Good luck, have fun. 

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 6

I did my first 2-tier cake last week, which had to be transported as well.  I didn't want to take any chances, so probably over did it.  icon_smile.gif

Both tiers were covered in MMF.  The second tier was on a cake board (smaller than the cake itself, so unseen).  I put 3 bubble tea straws in the first tier under where the second would be sitting.  Then, I smeared a bit of piping gel on the bottom of the second tier cake board and placed the top tier over the straws.  Then I sharpened the end of a dowel, cut it slightly smaller than the height of the two tiers, and inserted it through the top tier, through the cake board, and into the bottom tier until it hit the bottom board, then stuck a flower over the hole.

That sucker wasn't moving.  icon_biggrin.gif

In retrospect, I may not have needed the piping gel, but it sure helped!  When it came to removing the top tier to cut the cake, it really didn't want to come off, but eventually it did. The client kept the top tier for later, and we cut and served the bottom tier.

So, as your cake is only 2 tiers, I would think you would be fine to assemble it and transport it to its destination without a problem.  More than that, and you may want to assemble at the destination.

As far as the fondant vs buttercream, that would be determined by your comfort level with fondant.  Maybe do a practice cake with fondant first?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 6

My very first decorated cake was a two tier with MMF. Go for it!

AndreasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreasCakes Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 6

If you want to try two new things in one day, you could try covering your cake with ganache before putting your fondant on. Ganache gives much cleaner looking edges. Just do a quick search on CC for covering a cake with ganache... there have been tons of posts about it.

You should definitely use some support system in your cake. I really don't like to dowel my cakes so I use SPS. It's not the cheapest option, but to me, it's the safest.

Check out YouTube for videos on applying fondant, putting in dowels (or SPS if you choose), etc. It's much easier to do it after you've seen someone else do an instructional on it vs. going in blind.

Homemadebytz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemadebytz Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much this is really helpful and I feel a little less nervous :) I really appreciate this site and all you lovely people!!! Thank you soooooo much! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%