What Is The Difference Between Mud Cake And Texas Sheet Cake

Baking By -K8memphis Updated 1 Apr 2013 , 2:13am by mcaulir

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 16

they seem very very similar

i was thinking i was gonna make my first mud cake because i read this chocolate fudge cake recipe by sylvia weinstock

it's vanilla, water, cocoa combination --enough for any ordinary chocolate cake then regular cake ingredients like a couple cups of flour and sugar some soda but a dozen eggs and then an additional 11.5 oz of melted chocolate--come to momma! so i'm thinking this must be a mud cake-- yeah no this is more like a flourless cake with flour icon_biggrin.gif

or a pound cake with all those eggs and a full pound of butter -- mercy!

i'm only making a half recipe ;)

so me thinking erroneously that i was making a mud cake got me comparing recipes and mud cakes and texas sheet cakes are one in the same no??

15 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 16

Do you melt the chocolate together with the butter? I'm pretty sure that's the essential component to a mud cake.

Sounds pretty good, regardless!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir 

Do you melt the chocolate together with the butter? I'm pretty sure that's the essential component to a mud cake.

Sounds pretty good, regardless!

yes for the texas sheet cake--

so i've made and eaten tons of them!!! hahahaha i'm a little mudder & din know it

but not for the sylvia fudge cake

the sylvia cake is water, vanilla, cocoa heated together --

then just like a regular creamed cake --cream the butter & sugar, add eggs -add the melted choco --then alternate the previously heated cocoa mixture with the flour

so sylvia's is not a mud cake

i would have never thought

-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 16

so naturally it came out dry in order to get the inside done enough and it sank a tid tad ;{

but no worries--for family

i made a brown sugar simple syrup and put a splash of my husband's nice red wine in there--very tastey now

plus a cream cheese icing

not bad ;)

shoulda used bake even strips...next time

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 16

AI make a lot of mud cakes (Aussies pretty much only eat mud cake!) they need to cook at a lot lower temp (160-180C for my recipes (not sure what that is in F)) and for quiet a long time. I place a baking tray in the bottom of my oven with water in it and never have trouble with them drying out. sinking yes, especially my chocolate mud cake, but only a small bit in the center (maybe 1cm) below the rest of the cake. when I take it out of the oven the whole cake will drop about an inch as it cools, I think this is how it gets its beautiful dense texture, plus I know this will happen so no biggie ;)

-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleabrowncake 

I make a lot of mud cakes (Aussies pretty much only eat mud cake!) they need to cook at a lot lower temp (160-180C for my recipes (not sure what that is in F)) and for quiet a long time. I place a baking tray in the bottom of my oven with water in it and never have trouble with them drying out. sinking yes, especially my chocolate mud cake, but only a small bit in the center (maybe 1cm) below the rest of the cake. when I take it out of the oven the whole cake will drop about an inch as it cools, I think this is how it gets its beautiful dense texture, plus I know this will happen so no biggie icon_wink.gif

ohhh --cool

sure a pan of water in the bottom of the oven--great idea

yes it was a lower temp than ususal and a much longer bake

yeah i didn't mind the bit of a drop in the middle but i almost put it in a bundt pan to begin with

but i really wanted to get a layer cake--it was all of a full 3" deep ;)

and i think if i'd had a aluminum foil handy that would have helped bake the center too

loose foil over top at the end of the bake and after it comes out of the oven --shoulda thought of that too

thank you

i'm gonna be working on this

mcaulir Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 16

Also, mud cakes take a good couple of days to 'mature'. They're much richer and more moist on about the third day. they're actually not that nice straight out of the oven.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:

Also, mud cakes take a good couple of days to 'mature'. They're much richer and more moist on about the third day. they're actually not that nice straight out of the oven.

it's already half gone & not 24 hours old so...

you are right so far--not so nice straight out of the oven for sure!!! icon_biggrin.gif

not sure if it's gonna last all the way to the 3 day mark but we'll see...;)

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 16

Aand they are much better NOT refrigerated

-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleabrowncake 

and they are much better NOT refrigerated

i got one thing right  icon_biggrin.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 10:55pm
post #11 of 16

Last year , I got to eat some of my niece's leftover wedding cake. One of the Kitchen cakes was leftover , so I decorated it for Easter .  So it had been a bit over  three weeks from when I had baked it and two and a half weeks from when I had ganached and covered it. 

Man it was amazing , it was so luscious and delicious and not at all dry . It was  three different layers of mud , caramel , white choc and vanilla bean and dark choc. Sandwiched with choc Baileys , Ganache. 

So I really do strongly suggest that you wait at least three or more days before you eat mudcake. 

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 11:29pm
post #12 of 16

I live somewhat close to Australia (SE Asia) and I had never heard of a mud cake until moving here (Lots of Aussies around). In the past year I've made so many and different recipes too and I have to say they are extremely nice cakes. Actually they're my preferred cakes to bake now. 

Also they're super easy cakes to make- I do call them "the cardiologist's special' - with all melted butter and chocolate. 

Once I made a white chocolate mud cake and my husband was away on a trip- so I saved him some- over a week later when he returned (I had kept it in a glass tupperware container) -that cake was even more amazing -not dry at all- and so full of flavor. I don't know of another type of cake that is able to be that good after so long..really, it was hard to stop eating it...

-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 11:58pm
post #13 of 16

thank you chelle and cakefat

we try to only have 'goodies' on the weekend (ha) so i'm gonna try this again--maybe on wednesday so it has time to 'cure' but if my husband gets wind of it--he cannot wait--well i'm certainly not any good at waiting either--maybe i'll have to make some cookies as well in order to cover my tracks

oh i like mudcakes more and more  icon_lol.gif you can have your mud cake and eat cookies too icon_biggrin.gif

no but srsly i do appreciate alll the helps and information very much

and the sylvia is really not a mud i don't think--i'll get one of the ones in the recipe folder on here ;)

bailey's ganache--be still my beating heart

(edited for typos)

mcaulir Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 1:30am
post #14 of 16

This is my favourite: http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html

I just use all dark or all milk chocolate, not a mixture. Sorry, it's in metric.

I put all my mudcakes in the freezer too, so that might help save yours for long enough to get the full benefit!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 1:39am
post #15 of 16
Quote:

This is my favourite: http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html

I just use all dark or all milk chocolate, not a mixture. Sorry, it's in metric.

I put all my mudcakes in the freezer too, so that might help save yours for long enough to get the full benefit!

oooh, thank you, mcaulir, most of it is converted to u.s.!

mcaulir Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 2:13am
post #16 of 16

No problems. Just remember that metric cups are bigger than your cups. Ours are 250mL, I think yours are about 200mL?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%