To Contest Or No To Contest?

Decorating By SugarExplosion Updated 30 Mar 2013 , 10:59pm by Elcee

SugarExplosion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarExplosion Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 6:05am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking on a few online groups and I see so any talented people. I'm working on getting my skill level up and play around with working with other decorating mediums to enhance my work.  It's a slow progress. I was wondering do any of your enter in contest? If so how do you find them? 

On a personal note: How did you know your skill level was at the point it needed to be in order to enter into a contest? 

Thanks, 

DeeDee

5 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 6:30am
post #2 of 6

Truthfully , entering competitions is a good way to improve your skills . I have found the feedback and usually constructive criticism to be very useful  in honing my craft. 

Working to a criteria also challenges you and makes you think differently about a project as well. 

I entered my first comp not long after I started decorating . Each comp I enter I try to better myself and I also learn something.   

Just give it a go . You never know until you try. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 6

http://www.earlenescakes.com/Index2.html

look ar her articles for cake shows, cake show hints and cake show info

SugarExplosion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarExplosion Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 6

Chellescakes and K8memphis,

Thanks you both for your advice! I guess I just need to put my big girl panties on and do it. LOL

DeeDee

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 6

AGoogle Sugar Zen blog as well, probably some of the best advice about the subject out there.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 6

I love entering competitions. The ICES website is a good place to find local shows. The feedback from the judges is great. It's so much fun to create whatever you want (although narrowing it down to a single design can be hard icon_smile.gif). Here's what I find is one of the best things about a competition, you can see how you compare to decorators at your own experience level when you enter divisionals.

I started entering competitions because when I first started decorating, there was no Cottage Food Law in Colorado and I simply wanted more opportunities to make cakes. My first ever entry in a contest was at the State Fair and I got 3rd place.

I agree with AZCouture re: the Sugar Zen blog. Great info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%