Customer Says I Am Charging Too Much.....am I?

Decorating By mmmcake0072 Updated 31 Mar 2013 , 12:44am by Cakemommy2012

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 43

http://www.***********.com/photo/victoria-s-secret-pink-themed-sweet-16

I have a customer who is interested in a 9x9 square key lime pie cake (this serves 40) for the bottom and a 6 inch round chocolate for the top (this serves 10).  All fondant covered.  She only wants two tiers but she wants them to be the same design as the bottom two in the pic.  she wants the "LOVE" on the top tier and the "PINK" on the bottom done the same as the pic with the white and silver.  She wants the ribbon and diamond wrap on the base of both tiers, a light pink fondant 3D dog (like in the next link) but also hand painted with hot pink and black leopard  print, the small bag topper all out of fondant so she can save it with the circle logo on the bag but a K in the middle like on this link

http://kandicescakes.blogspot.ca

I am a scratch baker, which she mentioned that she liked box cake better so I can do that for her if I wanted, I told her that I do not offer box cakes only scratch.  Also I use ganache under my fondant.  I priced it at $270.  Does that seem unreasonable?

She came back with "well I had a cake done before (not by me) with some fondant on it and it only cost me $120".  

I told her that a basic 2 tier buttercream exterior cake with basic flavour and design start at $100.  I cannot work for hours on a cake for free.

My question is am I charging too much?

42 replies
mmmcake0072 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 43

Hmmm  it will not post this link.....lets see if this link works

http://cakesdecor.com/cakes/20421

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 43

Lol, 'a cake with some fondant on it', you can't let her compare what she wants you to do with some random cake she had in the past.

If she had one done for that cheap, and felt it was a good product for her money, she should go back to that baker.

I can't see the first picture, the link is blocked, but from what you described and the second picture, you are definitely not overcharging.

mmmcake0072 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 43

The link in the second post is the same pic......   I hate it when a customer makes me feel awful about my pricing.....i used to cave and lose money on my cakes, but i'm trying to grow a backbone and not do that anymore.......it is really hard to lose a customer, especially one who may go on to the cheaper baker and tell them how they think my prices are too much.  Thank you for the input!

Roseyrod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roseyrod Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 43

No you are not over charging. Cake decorating is an art.  You don't give it away at less than half price sale. Kindly tell her to use her previous baker.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcake0072 

The link in the second post is the same pic......   I hate it when a customer makes me feel awful about my pricing.....i used to cave and lose money on my cakes, but i'm trying to grow a backbone and not do that anymore.......it is really hard to lose a customer, especially one who may go on to the cheaper baker and tell them how they think my prices are too much.  Thank you for the input!

I see it now :)

There's a reason she's not using the same baker, probably because her cakes don't look nearly as nice as yours.

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 43

I would charge close to or more than you have quoted for everything this person is asking for. It's a ton of work that she obviously does not realize.  There will always be someone who is just starting to charge for cakes (probably baking from home) and is charging way to little.  Likely the other bakers work is not as clean and nice as yours and so they shouldn't be charging the same as you anyway. You get what you pay for with cake and some people do not want to pay for quality. DONT make that your problem! If she wants you to make a cake then she will either increase her budget or tame down her design. Or a little of both! Better to not do a cake than be mad at yourself for doing it for too cheap and not making anything!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 43

Nope, you're not charging too much.  More to the point, though, is why a mother of a 16-year-old would be encouraging/asking for a Victoria's Secret cake.  Pink is fine, but the Victoria Secret stuff, not so much, at least to me.  I know 16 is pretty grown up, but still...I guess I'm turning into my mother now that I am one...icon_biggrin.gif

Norasmom Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 43

My bad.  It's not really VS theme she wants.  I didn't read enough.  But stand firm on your price, that's a lot of work!

mmmcake0072 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 43

The daughter is actually turning 12.  Which i thought was a little young for a PINK by victoria secret themed cake.  Not outright victoria secret but close enough, my daughter would not be getting it for her 12th bday

Norasmom Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 43

Thanks for agreeing with me!  Too young for PINK.  Let's keep them innocent!

mmmcake0072 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 43

Gosh I love this sight!   Thank you for making me feel better about the price of the cake.  Like I said, I'm slowly trying to stand up for myself!  I don't think people get just how much work goes into a cake ...it's not just flour, sugar, eggs and butter!  

Norasmom....I could go on and on about todays society and our children!  But to keep it short.....you said it best "lets keep them  innocent!"  I couldn't agree with you more.  Its stressful for me (mom of two girls under 8) to walk in walmart and see training bras that have more padding than mine do!  

Cristina100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristina100 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 43

No it's not I know I under charge for most of my cakes, but people need to realize that it's time, hard work put into making cakes just the way "they" want them. I was always afraid to charge more than i should but now I'm not. If they don't want to order from me then they can look else where my feelings won't be hurt.  Usually they come back because every where else they charge more. So don't over think it you charge what you feel is appropriate. icon_biggrin.gif

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 9:45pm
post #14 of 43

Send her back to the cheap cake lady, and remind her that you get what you pay for...

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 9:58pm
post #15 of 43

I don't understand the part where she suggested you make a boxed mix. What is that? I don't go to to a restaurant, order the crab salad and suggest they make it with surimi. so weird.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 10:18pm
post #16 of 43
Quote:

...   I hate it when a customer makes me feel awful about my pricing.....

awful?--phffft-- feel good/great--giggle a little--you're providing a premium product that she can't get because she doesn't want to pay you for it--screw her cheapness--but don't feel bad--no reason to feel awful because of someone with eyes bigger than her pocketbook

<shouting> "NEXT"

if you were the power company and you have to cut off her electricity and the baby's milk is gonna spoil and the kids'll be cold--feel like rancid poo--but you still gotta do your job

no cake? aww poor baby (the client) icon_lol.gif

and you're standing up for yourself feel very very good ;)

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 10:49pm
post #17 of 43

ABet she was thinking that "box cake" would be way cheaper

mmmcake0072 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 11:17pm
post #18 of 43

ALol! You guys are making me feel much better about it! K8memphis you are funny! I emailed her a more "cost effective" cake. 2tier round buttercream cake. The bottom tier striped, top tier polka dots, wording and EITHER the bag topper or the dog on top. And the same ribbon and "diamond"wrap along the bottom. Essentially the same cake just not fully covered in fondant and bottom tier not a square 9x9 . She only needs to feed 20 so she'll have enough with an 8 inch round on the bottom, therefore saving on the amount of excessive servings! She hasn't replied yet......

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 12:13am
post #19 of 43

Wow, I have to agree that there is no way in heck that my 12 year old, or 16 year old will be getting a PINK cake, and my prices are non-negotiable. And yur work is immaculate, that is worth a lot more.

marizol01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marizol01 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 12:18am
post #20 of 43

ALook at ot this way: what is the minimum wage/hr? To that add the price of the ingredients, tools (cake plates, dowels, etc) and overhead (electricity for fridge; ovens, lights, etc). To that add what u think your art is worth. Never let anyone tell u how much to charge for your art. Don't let anyone tell u different. If they wanted a $120 cake, they should have gone to the previous baker. I'm sure they know they wouldn't get what u can and that's why they are coming to u. Hold your ground and soon people will learn that if they want quality and art, they need to be ready to pay what is wortg.

mmmcake0072 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 1:08am
post #21 of 43

When she was placing her order she kept mentioning how much she loved a cake that I had done for her friend,

So it was not like she had not seen or personally tasted my cake.  I know, my poor husband says that I should stop stewing over this.  She has not yet replied to my email with the lower cake idea.  Guess I'm not busy enough to get my mind off it!  HA! 

Again, thank you everyone for giving validation to my initial thoughts about my pricing and reminding me not to go back on my word!  You all get it!  I just need to remind myself of it!

mmmcake0072 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 1:09am
post #22 of 43

AWhen she was placing her order she was raving about a cake I had done for her friend,

[ATTACHMENT=589]chanel 1.jpg (3,251k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

so it is not like she had not seen or tasted my work....she still has not replied. It has been a few hours. I know I should not be doing this but I am totally stewing, wasting my time over this thing.

Norasmom Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 1:31am
post #23 of 43

OMG, I LOVE the Chanel cake.  My husband would be telling me the same thing about not stewing...so funny!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 2:39am
post #24 of 43
Quote:

When she was placing her order she kept mentioning how much she loved a cake that I had done for her friend,

So it was not like she had not seen or personally tasted my cake.  I know, my poor husband says that I should stop stewing over this.  She has not yet replied to my email with the lower cake idea.  Guess I'm not busy enough to get my mind off it!  HA! 

Again, thank you everyone for giving validation to my initial thoughts about my pricing and reminding me not to go back on my word!  You all get it!  I just need to remind myself of it!

Seriously, your work is immaculate. Do not undercharge for it to get more business. If you need the money, get a part time job! Seriously, I started out low to get business, and am raising prices now, and some of my most difficult, penny pinching, demanding customers can no longer afford me. YAY! I am now getting clients who  go ahead with the bigger cakes, and the extra detail. Just bide your time, and the word will get around, and you can get the money you deserve for your cakes. I have rarely seen such flawless cakes.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 9:57am
post #25 of 43

My question is am I charging too much?

In a word - no.

Your prices sre your prices.... and how you come to the final price is your business.

You start lowing your price because a customer says you are charging too much - then you are going to be known as the lady down the road who makes cheap caks...and once that happens you will be unindated with orders - working many a long hour for absolutely nothing......

pfffttttttttt - like thats going to happen.

If she doesnt want to pay your price - fine, let her go else where.

She will only end up getting what she pays for in the long run.

Stick to your guns - icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 12:22pm
post #26 of 43

Unfortunately this is something I think we all go through and will continue to bc people underestimate the work that goes into these cakes: I'll say it again, it's the fault of all the tv shows showing these cakes ostensibly put together over a 20 minute program. Plus, and I don't know if this is the case with you but if you work from home even fully licensed and everything they expect to pay even less bc they figure you have no over head. I've had this on more than one occasion and although it hurts I have learned to try and harden myself to comments like "oh wow, you've really become expensive" - this when I put up a certain cake by €10.

My husband always tells me "if you don't value and stand up for yourself then people won't value you and will walk all over you". It's taken me a long time to really be firm but honestly I feel better for it.

Your work is stunning, don't be discouraged. 

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 12:34pm
post #27 of 43

your chanel cake is perfect. You have skills and talent and should never doubt those or your prices-nor should anyone else.

I find it sad that a 12 year old is even aware about victoria secret and is getting/wanting a VS Pink cake. Shouldn't they still be in underoos at that age?!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 3:37pm
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat 

your chanel cake is perfect. You have skills and talent and should never doubt those or your prices-nor should anyone else.

I find it sad that a 12 year old is even aware about victoria secret and is getting/wanting a VS Pink cake. Shouldn't they still be in underoos at that age?!

to the OP- you're not overcharging, just remember that not everyone is your customer.

For the VS question, check this out http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-01-04/features/0601040287_1_pink-dog-pink-side-victoria-s-secret

And the 12-yr-olds who I know are pretty aware of things that they shouldn't be...there's a pregnant 7th grader at my daughter's school, sadly enough.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 3:42pm
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

to the OP- you're not overcharging, just remember that not everyone is your customer.

For the VS question, check this out http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-01-04/features/0601040287_1_pink-dog-pink-side-victoria-s-secret

And the 12-yr-olds who I know are pretty aware of things that they shouldn't be...there's a pregnant 7th grader at my daughter's school, sadly enough.

What age is 7th grade?

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 4:25pm
post #30 of 43

Everyone is built differently my niece is 12 and she wears a 34D. She has to shop at Victoria Secrets, Maidenform and etc. I just make sure the bras are plain old cotton and not padded. Sorry I know these comments weren't personal attacks on me but it is a bit annoying. She hasn't been robbed of her innocence she shops at VS. It's every parents responsibility to show your children what is appropriate and what isn't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%