Gelatin Question

Decorating By eava Updated 28 Mar 2013 , 10:50pm by BakingIrene

eava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eava Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 3

I am trying to make something that will mimic organza and I was wondering if I can take the mixture for gelatine butterflies add some luster dusts so it has the right sheen, let it dry in a thin sheet and then drape it, or will it be too brittle once dry?  Can it be softened with a hair dryer to make it more flexible so I can shape it?  I'm trying to get the effect of a train on a wedding dress.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 3

what about making a mold and apply the gelatin to the mold then let it dry in the shape you want the final product to look like

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eava 

I am trying to make something that will mimic organza and I was wondering if I can take the mixture for gelatine butterflies add some luster dusts so it has the right sheen, let it dry in a thin sheet and then drape it, or will it be too brittle once dry?  Can it be softened with a hair dryer to make it more flexible so I can shape it?  I'm trying to get the effect of a train on a wedding dress.

Get sheet gelatine.  Soak it in water and shape it to the final shape on a form.  Let it dry and then brush with luster dust.

Sorry but gelatine has to be soaking wet to be soft.  Otherwise it's very brittle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%