For A Laugh

Baking By khreative Updated 29 Apr 2013 , 2:06am by BrandisBaked

khreative Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khreative Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 11

I work in a wholesale bakery.  In the mornings I'm up front taking customer orders, entering them into the system, ect - while in the afternoon I'm in the back decorating cakes and cupcakes.

I actually just took over cupcakes, and in an attempt to boost sales turned them into simple little Easter baskets for the holiday.  Nothing super fancy as I have to mass produce :(   We went from selling 20-30 Red Velvet and Carrot cupcakes a week to over 400 last weekend alone.  So I assume people are pretty pleased with them.

Anyway, this morning I got a call from a disgruntled customer.  She told me she was disappointed and let down by these Easter Cupcakes.  When I asked her why she felt this way she responded, "they just look like muffins with some frosting and decorations".  I did sympathize with her and asked for suggestions.  Now I know you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try, but this seems pretty out there to me :p

I figured it was worth stopping in to share, because it definitely gave all of us in the office a good giggle.

10 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 11

All cupcakes look like muffins with frosting and decorations... lol.
I think Pinterest has poisoned people, they expect every cupcake to have a gum paste peony on top now.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 11

That's funny!   Didn't she see them when she bought them?   Anyway like scrumdiddlycakes said, all cupcakes look like little muffins.

Thanks for the laugh.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 11

Hahaha, so what was her suggestion?

khreative Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khreative Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 11

Oh, her actual suggestion was 'maybe you could not charge so much if you're going to sell a misleading product'.  

They're the large cupcakes in Red Velvet and Carrot decorated out of the norm, for a whole dollar and fourty cents.  $$$$$$$  I think they're too cheap

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 11

Misleading? Did she not see them when she bought them? I am assuming $1.40 is the wholesale price, right?

I would be very interested in how calling a red velvet cupcake a red velvet cupcake is misleading, though :)

AtomicBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AtomicBakes Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 11

Maybe she thought she was actually getting a miniature Easter basket. Maybe she thought the Easter bunny was going to jump out and give her a lap dance. Some people just have to have a reason to complain. Next time tell her, "of course it isn't a muffin. Muffins are for breakfast. Cupcakes are for anytime". I mean, duh, of course it looks like a muffin with frosting. That's because that's what it is.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBakes 

Maybe she thought she was actually getting a miniature Easter basket. Maybe she thought the Easter bunny was going to jump out and give her a lap dance. Some people just have to have a reason to complain. Next time tell her, "of course it isn't a muffin. Muffins are for breakfast. Cupcakes are for anytime". I mean, duh, of course it looks like a muffin with frosting. That's because that's what it is.

This gave me a big laugh. 

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 11

A

Original message sent by bct806

This gave me a big laugh. 

Lmao l know right!! I laughed too...can't believe someone spent their time complaining about cute cupcakes that were a whole $1.40 .

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 11:02pm
post #10 of 11

Isn't it always the wackos that need to tell others what's wrong with things ............. Thank goodness you had co-workers there to appreciate the chuckle!

I wish you could be honest with people sometimes and just tell them how stupid that comment was......but then I'd feel bad I told them the truth and they still wouldn't get it.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 2:06am
post #11 of 11

ASome people just have to have SOMETHING to complain about. Heck I see it ask the time on this website. I checked out a tutorial the other day and several people left rude comments. Someone took the time to share and be helpful, and they got crap for it.

Your story reminds me of a T-shirt I have: "Muffins are just ugly cupcakes".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%