A Few Questons About A Wine Bottle Cake

Decorating By SugarExplosion Updated 27 Mar 2013 , 12:06am by SugarExplosion

SugarExplosion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarExplosion Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

I any planning on doing a wine bottle cake for my romance writers retreat next weekend. We are having a Wine tasting and I think this would be a cute addition. Anyway, I want to get a jump on making the bottle and side panels due to my busy week coming up. Plus if I mess up I'll have enough time to do another bottle. icon_biggrin.gif I have done my research and I've seen some awesome cakes on the msg loops. However, I still have a few questions I didn't see an answer for. Can someone please help?

1. When is the best way the color the bottle and side panels? Before of after the molds dry?

2. Do I use fondant, gum past or a 50/50 mix with tylose? I don't think the ladies in the group will want to eat the bottle but I could be wrong. shhh.gif

Any and All help would be great!!

Thanks so much!

Dee Dee

2 replies
noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 6:45am
post #2 of 3

I would suggest gum paste over fondant as it will set better - and you never know who will want to eat the cake decorations, I'm always surprised that they generally do get eaten by someone.

I made a wine bottle cake a short time ago (although it was a cake carved into the shape of a wine bottle and covered in fondant).  I used white fondant, and painted it wine bottle green.

I created the right colour using a mix of powder colour and then added alcohol to paint it on.

SugarExplosion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarExplosion Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 12:06am
post #3 of 3

noosalusy,

Thank you for your suggestion! I will also let the pieces dry b4 I paint them.

DeeDee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%