Smbc Dripping?

Decorating By sweetspoon Updated 26 Mar 2013 , 1:00am by sweetspoon

sweetspoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetspoon Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 12:55am
post #1 of 5

AHi everyone, I'm new here & this is my first post. Did a giant cupcake on the weekend with rose piping of SMBC. The lady let me know that morning she wasn't going to pick it up till 5pm but I'd just made the buttercream so put it in the fridge. Cake was also a bit dry (new recipe) so just before I was ready to pipe it I poked some holes in the cake & brushed over a warm lemon sugar syrup to make it more moist. I took the SMBC out the fridge & left it a bit then re-whipped it. When I was piping on though didn't seem as fluffy or stiff. Looked a bit like condensation. Then it started to drip on to the cake board. So I put in fridge until she picked up but when I took it out it was still dripping. It was embarrassing, never happened to me before. Was it because of the sugar syrup? Was not hot or humid at all. This is only the third time I've made SMBC. Last wkend I made wedding cupcakes with SMBC I piped them on straight away as soon as I made it & they turned put perfect. I hope it was ok, have really been worrying because they were eating it the next day. The SMBC also had white choc ganache in it for flavour. If anyone can help me I would really be grateful. Thank you

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 5

i don't know but for next time i'd recommend putting the sugar syrup on asap, it seems like you put it on right befroe you iced the cake --maybe there was some time there but that's a good thing to let the syrup incorporate into the cake

my guess it's the sugar syrup oozing out maybe?

and i never plan to fridge my smbc before i use it--i might make it a day or two in advance but i leave it at room temp--i just don't want to deal with wah tthe ocld does to it and the remixing.

i mean sure i use leftovers for family or to (keep chilled ) then fill the next but make fresh for icing cakes for clients

surely tmi there--but smbc chattin'

and fwiw--i constantly have to spell check myself (surely i miss a lot too ;) --my fingers type swbc allll the time ;)

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 5

Your SMBC may not have been warmed up enough. That's my guess. I let my SMBC get to room temperature before I whip it again. Otherwise, it can start to separate and you see liquid. That has been my experience.

Nin55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nin55 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 5

Last week I refrigerated my smbc to rewhip the next day to frost cupcakes.  I had never done that before either.  I tried to rewhip it while it was still cold, and it looked a mess, liquid in the bowl.  But I kept whipping it on my KitchenAid mixer until it finally all came together and it was fine.  I was worried for awhile.

sweetspoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetspoon Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 1:00am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much to you ladies for replying, much appreciated.

Yes I should have put sugar syrup on straight away after baking however didn't realise how dry it was until I cut into it to layer and ice it.

Also think I won't refrigerate next time, possibly could have been because I didn't leave it out of the fridge long enough.

Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%