Guidance Needed Please, Stacking My First 3 Tiered Cake And Decorating Question.

Decorating By mtaylor1023 Updated 21 Mar 2013 , 3:51pm by saapena

mtaylor1023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaylor1023 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:42am
post #1 of 4

I am making my first 3 tiered cake that I am delivering Friday afternoon (I have done several 2 tiered cakes). I am using the SPS system for this cake which is also a first. So it's a bc cream cake with fondant accents and a fondant American Flag draped from the top tier down to the bottom tier. I am thinking of frosting and stacking the cake tomorrow but I am not sure if I should wait and put the fondant decorations and flag on Friday morning or if I should go ahead and do it tomorrow. I was also thinking of putting the cake in the fridge to stiffen it up a bit before I transport it on Friday afternoon. It's about a 30 minute drive in the back of my suv which I am nervous about. Will the fondant decorations on the cake be ok if I put in the fridge for a few hours before I transport it? Will the fondant decoration sweat as they heat up from being cold?  

Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:58am
post #2 of 4

why not take some of the scraps and paint or color them the same as the flag and test this

tonight put the scraps & all in the fridge & take them out tomorrow & see what you have

80 Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
80 Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 4

I think as long as you are not in a very hot and humid environment (like Texas or Florida in July) putting the cake in the fridge with the fondant decorations on it shouldn't be a problem. The only time I've seen the fondant get really icky was when I had a fondant cake I made for my dad in the middle of summer that we kept taking in and out of the fridge. Over the course of a couple of days the fondant really started to droop off the cake but that was an extreme case.

I've also always been a little nervous about putting a completely fondant cake in the fridge, but because of that I have to steer customers away form any kind of perishable filling. I think I'm going to start being more adventurous and trying it out. I might try doing some tests like K8memphis suggested.

Good luck with the cake! 

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 4

I always put my bc frosted cakes with fondant accents in the frig.  So far, I have not had any issues.  

I would definitely refrigerate the cake overnight to firm it up for travel.  I delivered a fully stacked 3 tier wedding cake, using SPS (the best) and it made a 45 minute drive over what I swear were the worst roads in the area!  

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%