Rainbow Cake Question

Decorating By BCBakey Updated 9 Apr 2013 , 4:11pm by ddaigle

BCBakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCBakey Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

I am looking for opinions here. I am making a rainbow cake (so 6 layers) for 40 people. She does not care what size or how many tiers. She's leaving it all up to me. What would you guys do? I was initially thinking of using 12" layers to make it a single tier, and then providing her with the cutting guide for 40 servings. Or would you recommend a 2-tier? Thanks in advance!

8 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 9

12 in serves 56 at 4 inches high.  You would be giving a lot of cake away with this size.  10 inch serves 38 at 4 inches high so would still be plenty given the extra height you are planning.  Or you could do a 6,8 for 36 servings at 4 inches high, again given the extra height should be enough.  Just my thoughts...

BCBakey Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you!!!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 9

Speaking of rainbow cakes...I made one last night.    The recipe asks for 2 boxes of mix.   I made 6 thin layers with BC in between and it is HUGE...at least 7 1/8" tall.   Betty Crocker recipe says serves 10.  NO WAY.    I bet with wedding slices, that sucker will serve at least 30.  It takes 2 boxes! 

Does anyone know how many party servings & wedding servings this will serve?  

ddaigle Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 9

Bump

BCBakey Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 9

I'm not sure but the cake I ended up making used 6 boxes of cake mix, LOL. It was meant to feed 40 but turned out to be way too much cake. I used 12" pans and only trimmed enough to level.They sure did love it though. Only charged $65 for it. Live and learn...

HalifaxMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HalifaxMommy Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 1:42am
post #7 of 9

AI made an 8 inch round rainbow cake the other day. I used 3 cake mixes to get my layers; 2 cups per layer and had some batter left over. Each layer was approx 3/4 inch high with two ice cream scoops of BC in between. Total height was jut shy of 5 inches. My husband enjoyed cake tops with cool whip.

SunshineBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineBaker Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBakey 

I'm not sure but the cake I ended up making used 6 boxes of cake mix, LOL. It was meant to feed 40 but turned out to be way too much cake. I used 12" pans and only trimmed enough to level.They sure did love it though. Only charged $65 for it. Live and learn...

May I ask what coloring you used to get the vibrant colors?  I am going to be making a similar cake soon and I can never find the right dark colors, although easier for cake batter I guess than for coloring fondant.

ddaigle Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 9

I used Americolor gel.   They...in my opinion are the best gel colors.    

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%