Yellow Cake

Baking By Newcakebaker_2012 Updated 19 Mar 2013 , 11:21pm by -K8memphis

Newcakebaker_2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newcakebaker_2012 Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 7

I'm looking for a really good yellow cake recipe.  What do most people use for a yellow cake...I would prefer from scratch recipes. The ones I've tried are either like corn bread or more like pound cake. 

Thanks in advance! 

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 1:50am
post #2 of 7
 i love sylvia weinstock's yellow cake recipe--

it comes out almost white because i leave off a couple egg yolks but you can add them in too and it's still not truly a yellow color at all--a lot of bakeries use yellow food color

then i use a quarter cup more cake flour than it calls for (i typo-ed the recipe when i copied it once and it works great)

and i do not whip the egg whites separately--i just add them info the beautifully creamed sugar and butter

just an idea for you
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 2:49am
post #3 of 7

I highly recommend Toba Garret's  Moist Yellow Cake.  I tried many and it is my favorite.  I make it exactly as written except that I also add in a little almond extract.  

Newcakebaker_2012 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 7

Hi k8memphis,

I actually tried this recipe on Sunday and liked it although found the taste more like a pound cake taste. Also once I place it in the fridge it seems to stiffen up some...what have your experiences been with it when providing to customers?

-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcakebaker_2012 

Hi k8memphis,

I actually tried this recipe on Sunday and liked it although found the taste more like a pound cake taste. Also once I place it in the fridge it seems to stiffen up some...what have your experiences been with it when providing to customers?

interesting question

i don't give it to customers! i use wasc for clients--wasc w/ self rising flour

you are exactly right the sw does tighten up in the fridge--it's the butter i think because if you microwave it it pops right back to its best--only thing is i can't microwave a 14" iced tier so that's why i use wasc

i use sw for home use only and never frige it--it stays lovely in room temp

but i use lots of fruit fullings so i have to fridge my cakes ;)

but mine is not pound cakey--it's a great cake--we love it

didja use cake flour?

Newcakebaker_2012 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 7

Well that makes me feel better..I was thinking maybe I was doing something wrong! LoL

yeah I did use cake flour and I'm not so sure about it...I feel like it makes the cakes more dense vs fluffy!!

Im glad to hear your using a WASC with self rising flour...haven't tried this recipe but was turned off when I noticed one recipe used a box mix!!!

-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 7

and to finish the thought here

the wasc cake does bounce back from the fridge imo perfectly so that's why i use it for tier cakes

very similar textures the way i make swyc and wasc--all except for the fridge thing

sylvia's is possibly fluffier though

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%