What Steamer Brand Do You Recommend For Steaming Fondant?

Decorating By mgostin Updated 4 Jan 2016 , 2:21am by ShoreTea66

mgostin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgostin Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 1:33am
post #1 of 14

Hello!

looking to buy a 'garment' steamer for steaming my fondant cakes however not sure what brand or type is best suited for cake decorating - any opinions or advice would be appreciated!

thank you! 

13 replies
ecb8r2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecb8r2 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 1:31am
post #2 of 14

I've never tried a steamer, but I just spray a light mist over the whole cake with a spray bottle before I do any of the piping and it works great.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 1:59am
post #3 of 14

I just purchased an inexpensive Conaire from WalMart. It works fine for setting colors on gumpaste and removing powdered sugar off fondant, or applying a soft sheen. I find it invaluable when making gumpaste flowers. In the event it should spit water drops, (tho it hasn't, I was just cautioned that it might), I hold the object at enough of a distance to avoid the drops.

I keep it hanging on a cup hook off the edge of my work table where it is easily accessible.

Jan

mgostin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgostin Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 2:11am
post #4 of 14

milkmaid42 - do you find the sheen stays? do you get a gloss that is permanent or does it just dry up in a couple of hours? thank you!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 14

I suppose "sheen" isn't exactly the proper word to use. No, it doesn't really stay, but after it dries it appears smoother, cleaner and somehow fresher. If I want a high sheen I use Confectioners Glaze applied from the bottle with a brush, or edible lacquer from a can. For a softer finish, I use super pearl dust applied with a pump brush or soft make-up brush.

My favorite use of the steamer is to set the colors on gum paste flowers. Be careful not to hold the flower in the steam too long or it will soften the petals. Repeatedly dusting and steaming can intensify the color and add a velvety appearance.

If you are looking for various ways to make something shine, here is a list of alternatives you might be interested in. I probably exceeded the scope of your question, but yes, I do find my cheap little Conaire a valuable part of my cake toy collection. :)

Jan 

Edible varnish, glazes

1 t. gelatin

3 t. water

1 t. liquid glucose

Sprinkle gelatin in the water. Let stand until it becomes spongy.

Dissolve until clear over hot, not boiling water, Add the liquid

glucose and stir until ingredients are well combined.

Pour this mixture into an airtight container.

The mixture will get very stiff. To use it, heat the varnish in a

container of hot, not boiling, water. Paint onto the item to be varnished while

the mixture is still hot. The edible varnish should NOT be kept in the refrigerator.

piping gel and vodka

Put piping gel in the micowave to soften it and then add vodka to thin it,

the vodka will remove any sticky out of the piping gel just paint it on with

a brush it leaves a great shine

VODKA / CORN SYRUP

50/50 Vodka and corn syrup

LEAF & FLOWER SHINE (Gum Arabic)   

In a small jar put 2 T. Water. Sprinkle over top 1 T. Gum Arabic. DO NOT STIR. The next day will be a liquid. You can paint it on leaves for great shine. Color leaves then paint on a light coat with soft brush.

If you have left over, leave lid off and let dry. Next time add little water. Let sit overnight, etc.

PAM

Just spray with a coat of Pam.

mlmccoy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlmccoy1 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you for sharing you ideas.  I am working on starting my own cake business with my Aunt.  This was very helpful.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 14

AIf I may, steaming cakes is something that most of us groan at. Unless you're trying to remove corn starch marks, or need an actual shiny effect for a purse or shoe that is shiny in real life, don't steam your cakes. It's not a nice effect. Really just trying to be helpful and get you going on a good path.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 14

Milkmaid43: great info on homemade glaze for cakes & flowers. nice tips.

AZCouture: It was quite a shock when I first saw TV cake decorators using the same fabric steamer on fondant cakes, that I use to 'block' my crochet doilies, and knitting.  Can't think of a single food that I that shines like nail polish, shoes, or purses.  Even cookie glaze doesn't look like a steam blasted fondant.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 14

AI blame Buddy.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 14

ADid anyone see the episode of the first "Next Great Baker" when that guy slopped water all over his cake and said he was confident his cake was all that because it looked like "it had been steamed"? I don't like Buddy because he is arrogant but I cracked up when he said something like-dude your cake looks terrible with all that water on it! Thats not going to dry and go away!

mlmccoy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlmccoy1 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:49am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

If I may, steaming cakes is something that most of us groan at. Unless you're trying to remove corn starch marks, or need an actual shiny effect for a purse or shoe that is shiny in real life, don't steam your cakes. It's not a nice effect. Really just trying to be helpful and get you going on a good path.

Thank you.  I appreciate the advice. 

icon_smile.gif

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 8:25am
post #12 of 14

I just use a ediable shine spray to make it look "wet"

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 8:51am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Did anyone see the episode of the first "Next Great Baker" when that guy slopped water all over his cake and said he was confident his cake was all that because it looked like "it had been steamed"? I don't like Buddy because he is arrogant but I cracked up when he said something like-dude your cake looks terrible with all that water on it! Thats not going to dry and go away!

That's the only episode I have ever actually fully watched, I think of it every time I see a lacquered up cake, and giggle... He was just so confident.

ShoreTea66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShoreTea66 Posted 4 Jan 2016 , 2:21am
post #14 of 14

Can anyone recall the episode that was? Id love to see that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%