Need Opinions On Icing Sheets...

Decorating By sfandm Updated 1 May 2013 , 3:00am by love 4 cakes

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 6

OK, I have had my new printer still in the box, for several months now, but I am ready to take the plunge and buy icing sheets and ink for my Edible Ink endeavor. I have searched and read several posts and sites, and have found two companies that I am intrigues with.

The first is icingimages.com

The second is inkedibles.com

Both companies do about the same thing, carry almost the same thing, but inkedibles also carries chocolate transfer sheets. I can print on the sheets and then transfer the image to a thin layer of melted chocolate and then when it dries, cut it into whatever I need to and apply it.

I like this idea.

I also have literally, 1000's of images, clipart, fonts and backgrounds that I can use as well, and an awesome program on my computer that will allow me to take a background on my computer, and change it into this, as shown in the picture.

I used to make customized candy wrappers and personalized party favors, for 12 years, and have invested ALOT of money in it, so I can incorporate it into my cake decorating.

My question to you cc'ers is- in your opinion, which icing sheet do you prefer from which company?

I am interested in the Lucks brand on icingimages site, and the frosting sheets from inkedibles

?'s are:

Is one sheet more flexible than the other?

How long after printing does the ink usually set?

Taste difference?

Application ease?

Storage length?

Any help is appreciated.

5 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:15am
post #2 of 6

I see no one answered your post.  If you would like for us to send you a sample icing sheet of our premium brand, email us directly at [email protected] so you can check it out in person! If you have any questions for us directly, I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:02am
post #3 of 6

I am an icing images fan for life. I've tried Lucks and found that Icing Images sheets are more flexible and stay that way longer. The ink dries almost instantly and the paper has a yummy scent. I did not have such great luck with Lucks.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 6

Since I outsource, I take what the local cake supply uses (DecoPac). I hear it's not the best, by any measure, but doing two different projects involving three separate pieces (the "Leland Awards" cake had both a picture of the trophy and the museum logo), I had no trouble.

Debbie offered you a free sample; you probably don't want to look a gift equine in the masticatory orifice, do you?

But above all else, you need to remember the first two rules about edible printing:

1. You do NOT run conventional ink in your edible ink printer, ever, for any reason.

2. You do NOT run conventional ink in your edible ink printer, ever, for any reason.

(And you do not talk about Fight Club.)

Suffice it to say that any cleaning process that would render an inkjet printer food-safe after it's been used with conventional ink would either (a) cost more than a new printer, (b) turn the printer into an afunctional piece of modern art sculpture, or most likely (c) both.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 1 May 2013 , 12:01am
post #5 of 6

I have only used 2 brands, The 1st one is KopyKake.  I used it for years primarily because #1 -low cost.  The company would be considered local to me.  #2 At the time I used a pc and their program ran on a pc.  

Unfortunately (I guess for them now) I changed to a mac and KK program does not facilitate a mac and II does.  So... I made the switch.

Difference =  I purchased the premium sheets, they are heavier I must say.  They are on a plastic or acetate backing and when it dries it slides right off.  this is a good thing.  But I think the ink dries faster on KK sheets, JMO.  In humidity the KK sheets could give me trouble removing the backing.  I have not used II long enough to say whether this will be a problem.  I have noticed that Icing Images is better at support from my experiece so how can you go wrong.

There are some things I need to learn from the Icing Images but the learning process is half the fun.  Once you start using it you will love it which ever you use.  

Take the sample and play with it.  

love 4 cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love 4 cakes Posted 1 May 2013 , 3:00am
post #6 of 6

I use icingimages.com  Lucks brand is a little thicker but easy to transfer to the cake.  I love it.  Haven't had a problem.  Drying time is quick.  But generally I print the picture leave it set 5-10 min and place it in a gallon size bag for use the following day.  But they will keep this way for awhile. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%