First Wedding Cake Help!

Decorating By punkin90 Updated 16 Mar 2013 , 3:48pm by ddaigle

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 16

I have my first wedding cake next weekend. I wanted to be able to deliver the cake stacked. I am still nervous decorating and worry anyone who may be there to let me in the reception hall may be curious and want to watch. So for me it would be easier to deliver already stacked. The cake is small for a wedding cake 3 tiers - 10", 8", 6". I have delivered cake this size stacked with a cake board between the layers, dowel rods or straws for support, and a dowel through all the layers into the bottom cake board. I have done this with no problems. This is my worry, the top tier is the anniversary tier and I think it would be hard for the bride and groom the take it off with a dowel in the center. Could I take the dowel rod out after the cake is set up? Also, is it ok to just use cake boards to separate the tiers?  I live in a small town and no store here sales the hidden pillars (I have separator plates but not enough hidden pillars). Any suggestions would be appreciated!

15 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin90 

Could I take the dowel rod out after the cake is set up? Also, is it ok to just use cake boards to separate the tiers?

Yes, and yes.

punkin90 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks! Do I double layer the cake boards or just one (I usually use one)? I have a problem with the icing sticking to the cake board. Is there anyway to prevent that? Sorry for all the questions. I just want this to be a good experience and I am already nervous icon_cry.gif!

punkin90 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks! I just read the info on Wilton's website.I have used confectioners sugar before. I think it helps a little. I think I am going to have to go with that method and have the bottom 2 tiers decorated, dowel rods in place, & place dowel in center. If I am remembering right doing a 3 tier cake there is not a lot of the dowel sticking out of the top going all the way through the cake. It might be hard to get a good grip to pull it out so it might be safer to have the top tier crumb coated (all buttercream cake) and finish at reception hall. Hopefully I can figure this out

CWR41 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin90 

It might be hard to get a good grip to pull it out

Since you're removing central dowel after transport, use an extra long one so you can grasp it.

punkin90 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 16

The longest I can find in my area is 12". I do have a extra long rod used to roast marshmallows. It's pretty long, but it's thinner. I believe I have used the before and they worked ok. Thanks - I had forgot about those.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 16

I don't ever use a center dowel unless the people are picking it up themselves, and I definitely deliver stacked. Do you not trust yourself without one? 

punkin90 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 16

I have never delivered a cake any other way and I don't have hidden pillars for separator plates. How do you stack and deliver your cakes?

AZCouture Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 16

99% of my cakes are fondant covered SMBC, stacked on bubble straws, I cut my own foam core circles (cardboards creep me out-I dunno why), sturdy cake drums ordered online...on down the road I go. I use delivery boxes from bakeabox.com. I drive carefully. Very carefully. I don't want to mess with center dowels and I'm sure the staff appreciates not having to dismantle them either. HOWever, I have been doing this a long time and am used to my methods, so I wouldn't suggest doing it my way until you're sure of yourself. :)

punkin90 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 16

I hope to be able to do deliver that way one day!

AZCouture Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 1:48am
post #12 of 16

Yeah I'd keep doing it the way do for now then. Build your confidence up. I would never do anything I wasn't 100% sure of. :)

punkin90 Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 12:10pm
post #13 of 16

Better safe than sorry thumbs_up.gif. I live in hills and valley's so I don't want to chance it lol!

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 1:17pm
post #14 of 16

AWhat if the center dowel gets to tight in the cardboard and when you try to take it out the decorations get messed up

punkin90 Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 3:36pm
post #15 of 16

Thought of that. I will either decorate the top tier when I get there or I will stack it and take my trusty pliers to help "twist" the dowel so I can take it out. If it does get messed up I plan on having extra icing with me to fix any issues.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 3:48pm
post #16 of 16

I use center dowels all the time.    I leave enough out of the top so that I can "gently" twist while I am pulling up.   If needed, I bring a bag of icing and spat to fill in/cover the hole.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%