Ah! Buttercream Piping Disaster!!

Decorating By sarahjane792000 Updated 15 Mar 2013 , 11:02pm by denetteb

sarahjane792000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahjane792000 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 7

HI. I am having real trouble with my Wilton 2d nozzle. It is piping the buttercream so that it comes through the nozzle 'shredded' where the ridge edges are. I hope that makes sense.  I use double icing sugar to unsalted butter, vanilla essence and a little milk. I electric mix for 5 mins or so (maybe not quite so long). Am i doing something wrong, do I need a new nozzle, or could my buttercream mix be perfected (I'm not overly sure about using shortening in it)

Maybe there is something glaringly obvious I'm doing wrong that is staring me in the face?????

thanks!

6 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 7

Sounds like the icing is a little thick for piping.  Try thinning a little more until it pipes well.  See if that works.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 7

A

Original message sent by matthewkyrankelly

Sounds like the icing is a little thick for piping.  Try thinning a little more until it pipes well.  See if that works.

Yep

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 7

It also could be stopped up by a plug of powdered sugar or clump of something.  Also check to see if the tips are bent and miss-shapen.  You might have to use a knife to gently rebend them into place.

bubblychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblychick Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 7

push the tips out a little (if that makes sense?) Ive had the same problem they where almost meeting I have to push them back out every so often even though I store them so they arent squished Im not sure why its happening?

sarahjane792000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahjane792000 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you! I pushed the tip from the inside with my finger and kind of separated the points a bit and it worked a treat! Thank you"

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 7

AYay to simple solutions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%