Starting Out - Clarification And Name Help

Business By ashley_w_101 Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 7:45pm by rica827

ashley_w_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley_w_101 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 11

Hello,

I have been making cakes for around eight years now, but I haven't posted or been active here in several years.  I stay busy working full time and have three kiddos!  I have continued to make cakes for my friends and family and always turn down anyone asking to purchase a cake since I was aware of the Texas laws for selling food out of your home.  I needed some ideas for a friend's cake I did this past weekend, and in lurking around here, realized that the Texas Cottage Food Law had passed.  I have read up a lot about it and I'm excited to get started to do a few cakes here and there for profit. 

You all have such a wealth of information and talent; I wanted to ask a few questions before I get my feet wet. 

I have read about the law, and from what I can understand, I can make a cake in my home and sell it (without charging taxes) as long as no fillings/icing need refrigeration, the customer picks it up from my house or mails the money, and I do not provide utensils or a place to eat. I also need to have a label with my address, required statement, and allergy information. Am I missing anything?  

I plan to come up with a business name and complete the DBA.  Many have said they need a tax id # to buy in bulk, while others have said they were told they did not need one.  I don't plan to buy in bulk, because I won't be baking that much, but I think I should apply for the number in case I need it in the future.  Are there any other forms or items I need in addition to these two?

Lastly, I probably won't create a webpage yet, but I will do a facebook page.  I need to come up with a name.  There are several that I like, but I am in need of other opinions.  My husband and friends are not helping me narrow anything down.  I would greatly appreciate your expertise!

My name is Ashley, my last name is very long and difficult, I am a teacher (I go by Mrs. K.), my kids nick names are Ten, Dalt or DTown, and Elle Bell or Ella Bella. Not much for a good name, but my kids are my world and I keep playing with their names to make something work.  Based on some of these things, I have made a list of names I like.

Tendalbell Bakery (This one is the most meaningful to me, but I won't really be a full bakery...maybe in the future).

K.'s Custom Cakes

Sweet Tiers (pretty sure I've heard it somewhere, but it's catchy)

AshCakes

Crumb Cakery (I think I like this one the most, even though Crumb ...etc. has been done.  I don't think I have seen "Cakery" after it though)

Thoughts?  I appreciate any advice or input! 

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 11

texas tiers

ashley_w_101 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you.  I like the name, and thought about something with "Texas" in it, but I envision cowboy boots and rustic stars when I think of "Texas" in a name. It would be a great name for someone here in TX, but not quite my style.  Thank you for your suggestion.  I will think about other words that might fit with "Tiers."

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 11

Why not Three Tiers? Since you have three kids, and it's kind of a play on three cheers. 

ashley_w_101 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 1:42am
post #5 of 11

Ooo..I like that! Thanks!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 3:22am
post #6 of 11

AI like Tendalbell. Makes me think of a racehorse or something elegant and expensive, an old family name or something... It has a nice ring to it. Tendalbell Cakes

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 11

How about Ashley K Cakes or Cakes by Ashley K?

GF Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GF Mommy Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:17am
post #8 of 11

AMaybes it's where I am from but I had to read tendalbell 4 times I kept hearing tenderball in my head. My ketch other people wrong as well I like the, three tiers suggestion.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:50am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyzan 

I like Tendalbell. Makes me think of a racehorse or something elegant and expensive, an old family name or something... It has a nice ring to it.
Tendalbell Cakes

Ditto.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:07am
post #10 of 11

I like Cakes by Ashley K.   It sounds classy and up beat.

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 11

If you plan to have a website, check to make sure the URL is available before naming your bakery :)  You may not have trouble with some variation of your name, or Tendalbell, but Three Tiers sounds sort of common.  Another word of advice...make it easy to remember. While Tendalbell is cute, people may have no idea how to spell it or find you. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%