Taste Of Commercial Fondant Versus Marshmallow Fondant?

Decorating By SandyES00 Updated 13 Mar 2013 , 8:15pm by Apti

SandyES00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyES00 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 11

I've been making my own marshmallow fondant, but am thinking about switching over to commercial to save time and it also seems easier to work with/tears less.  People, however, really like the taste of my marshmallow fondant and I don't really want to put fondant on a cake only for people to tear it off when they eat it.  Is there any good tasting commercial fondant that is comparable to marshmallow fondant?

10 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 11

This is like asking, "Is Pepsi better than Coca Cola"?  You'll get a thousand different answers, all of them "right".  The only way you can find this out is to try them yourself and see what you think.  It is possible to get sample packs of commercial fondant at a minimal cost (do an online search). 

Just like everything else with food, everybody has a different opinion of  what is "good".  From reading hundreds of threads (and trying lots of different commercial fondants), the general consensus is that homemade fondant is generally much tastier than commercial.   However, commercial is more consistent and may be more profitable since less prep time is involved. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 11

It does save time, that's for sure. Personally the only commercial fondant I would use is any of the Swiss types. Carma, what Albert Uster sells, etc. They truly do taste good, but costly, so I make my version of MFF and life goes on. Everything else stinks to me. :(

SandyES00 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 11

I don't have a huge problem making fondant.  I just had to buy some chocolate fondant for a last minute cake and it was so easy to work with, I was amazed.  My marshmallow fondant is fine, but seems to tear a lot easier than the store bought.

Cakesandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesandstuff Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 11

I never make my own fondant as I find that the comical brands are so much better to work with and I actually like the taste! The fondant I use is Satin Ice, it's consistent and I find it gives the best result.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 11

I use Carma's, I really like the taste, not sickly sweet or chemically like a lot of the other commercially made brands.

I personally hate MMF, I will make it once in a while when a bride really wants it, but I usually give them a sample of each and they choose Carma's. I don't find it difficult to work with, I just think it's over the top sweet.

That said, Apti is right, everyone's opinions will be different, I agree with the idea of getting samples.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 11

I've tried the Fondarifc and Finishing Touch brands. They both taste good, and I believe the Fondarific has different flavours consistent with the different colours. I've yet to try Satin Ice. (And actually, I still make my fondant, and mix in a bit of the commercial stuff to help with the texture when I need to Fondant is NOT inexpensive where I am)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 11

I don't like MMF either.  I usually use SatinIce or PettinIce.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 11

I make my own fondant, but not marshmallow fondant. You might try a traditional recipe that doesn't use marshmallows to see if you like it better.

SandyES00 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 12:11am
post #10 of 11

Where do I look for samples?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 11

do a google search for "fondant samples"

Here are some results:

http://shop.fondarific.com/product.sc?productId=16

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=138096

Click to this thread, then scroll down the the Jan 2, 2011 post by whoknew?

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=145750

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%