Help With Egg Free Cake

Decorating By SarahLynnssw Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 5:32am by Annabakescakes

SarahLynnssw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahLynnssw Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 1:51am
post #1 of 10

I'm making a smash cake for a party this weekend and the mother just told me she wants an egg free cake due to allergies.  I've been experimenting today and not having much luck.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I've tried a recipe which used a mixture of oil, water, and baking powder to replace the egg.  I baked it at the temperature and time in the recipe.  It didn't seem quite done so I ended up baking it until the outside was getting pretty hard and finally the toothpick came out clean.  When I cut into it, though, there was a big ball of gooey dough in the center.  I was using a 6 in cake pan that was for a 3 in thick cake.

Next, I tried to make a cake using a Funfetti cake mix and Sprite.  I had done a chocolate cake mix and Coke before just for fun and liked the results.  I just wanted to see what this would do.  I cooked the cake at a slightly lower temp.  It again seemed like it was done baking; I let it go longer and it didn't have as hard of an outside due to the lower temperature.  It seemed firm until cutting into it and it was extremely doughy.  I'm baking these cakes beyond the amount of time I normally bake that size cake and they are coming out half baked inside. 

Any ideas or a go to recipe for egg free vanilla cakes?

9 replies
cookie smalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie smalls Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:21am
post #2 of 10

AU may want to look into vegan friendly cake recipe. I've made one before using applesauce and it was really good. HTH

funkylamb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkylamb Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:37am
post #3 of 10

Hi there!

The recipe on this site: http://www.inspired-by-chocolate-and-cakes.com/chocolate-cake.html
is my go-to recipe for all celebration cakes that I make and it is egg free. 

It is really fantastic, like a mud cake and it lasts for days and days without getting dry. 

I posted this and then realised I had misread your original question! Sorry, dead brain today. She *does* do a white chocolate version which is just as nice which might suit?

cheers,

Amelia

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 3:21am
post #4 of 10

1 cake mix + 1 can of Sprite or other soda at room temp. Mix on lowest speed. Bake at 325 until toothpick comes out clean (should be about the same as your normal baking time)

DriveMeBatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DriveMeBatty Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 9:22am
post #5 of 10

Ahttp://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/eggless-chocolate-cake-L1236.html

This is my regular go-to chocolate cake recipe which just happens to be egg free and even dairy free! It's a really easy moist cake and I get asked for the recipe all the time. I'm sure you could easily adapt it to a vanilla cake if you play around with it - it's a very forgiving recipe!

lmvanzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmvanzee Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 10:31am
post #6 of 10

AWhen we were deing with a possible egg allergy my go to cake was a banana cake. What I cound with just trying to substitute the eggs is the cake becomes very delicate.

Rodriguez-km Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodriguez-km Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 10

Here's a recipe that my grandmother gave me, I've never done it before so I couldn't tell you how good or bad it is. I hope it helps you!

Ingredients:

• 1 bar of butter (half cup)
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 1/4 cup cake flour
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla

*Mod edited to remove mixing instructions which could be copyrighted.

DriveMeBatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DriveMeBatty Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez-km 

Here's a recipe that my grandmother gave me, I've never done it before so I couldn't tell you how good or bad it is. I hope it helps you!

Ingredients:

• 1 bar of butter (half cup)
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 1/4 cup cake flour
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla

*Mod edited to remove mixing instructions which could be copyrighted.

Copyrighted mixing instructions?!?! Learn something new everyday!!! icon_confused.gif

GF Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GF Mommy Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:08am
post #9 of 10

AAll my cakes are egg free. There are several was to go. Not all options work with all cakes. Betty crocker cake mix works with this option. 1/4 liquid for each egg. 2 eggs apple sauce and 1 Tbsp. ground yellow flax, one egg energy egg replacer( 1/4 cup water not 2 Tbsps.) plus 1/4 tsp vinegar. Scratch Carrot cake does not need the apple sauce just substitute energy eggs and 1/4 tsp vinegar. That what's working so far. I keep learning new things. I just learned cake mixes where make during WWll and where made to use just water.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:32am
post #10 of 10

I have used ground flax seed. You add a couple tbs water to it and mix it frothy, and it replaces the egg. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%