Do You Charge For The Top Tier On A Wedding Cake...

Business By SweetAngiesCake Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 4:42pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

SweetAngiesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetAngiesCake Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 12

I am new at this and I am overwhelmed reading all the links about wedding cakes here!  There is a lot of them!  :)  I have never done a wedding cake before.  I am a home baker.  The bride wants the cake to feed 100 people.  the cake will be square and will be stacked, and I am currently trying to figure out what size pans to use.  I am thinking doing a 10, 8, and 6.  But that is my problem.  I have read that the top tier doesn't count, since that is sent home with the bride/groom for their 1 year anniversary.  So, with that being said, those size pans wouldn't work.  It wouldn't feed everyone since i cant count the 6 inch tier (it would only feed 82 people).  So, i next looked at doing a 12, 10, 8, 6 cake, but that would feed to many.  Not counting the 6 inch tier (because that goes to the bride/groom), that make up would feed 154.  Not sure what way to go.  Any advice would be great!  Also, speaking of the 6 inch top tier, what do you charge for that, since its only for the bridge and groom??  icon_eek.gif

11 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 12

ATo answer the header of your post, absolutely! Just because try will save it for a year doesn't mean thy he it free!

Personally, I always recommend the couple come back in a year for a replica. There's no way year old frozen cake will be good. If they really want to keep some for tradition, save 2 slices.

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 12

That is strictly your choice.  Some people offer the top tier as complimentary.  Or they offer a complimentary one year anniversary 6-inch cake.  However, if I make it, I charge for it.  What the bride and groom do with it after the fact is up to them.  On my wedding contracts, I list the top tier and servings as part of the servings requested and received.  

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 12

Also, you probably need to contact them to see what they want.  If they want that top tier for themselves, then I would bake 12, 8 and 6-inch squares.  That would give them 104 servings, not counting the top tier.  However the couple would have to pay me for the 122 servings they will receive.  

You are selling yourself short if you do not charge according to what they receive. 

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAngiesCake 

but that would feed to many.

too many.  You could do a 10x8x6 for 100 servings, plus an additional anniversary tier already boxed up.  Or, a 12" (72) x 9" (40) for 112 guests, plus 6" (18) for B&G's anniversary for 130 total servings.  Charge regular per serving price for all servings.

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:28am
post #6 of 12

In terms of the top tier part, none of my couples have wanted to save it for a year. Most of them are younger and weren't even aware of the tradition. My mom (who is also my business partner) told one of our couples that for her first wedding (back in the 70's) she saved her top tier for a year and it was aweful! My sister and brother in law saved their top tier (mom and I made it) for a month and they said it was just as good as at the wedding. I always ask my couples and explain the option of getting a 4 or 6 in replica on their one year anniversary but either way they pay for it. 

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 12:08pm
post #7 of 12

ANo top tier for free, no anniversary anything either.

But I think a year old cake in deep freeze would still taste good.

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 12

i offer a free anniversary cake with all my wedding cakes. it is made seperate from the wedding cake (that way they can use their top tier towards servings)  and placed in the freezer at their reception venue when i arrive to set up the wedding cake. Its just a little 6 inch 2 layer cake and in order for it to be free it has to be one of the flavors they chose for their wedding/grooms cakes bc since its free i'm not going to make a seperate batch of cake batter just for that. i think its a nice perk that they really appreciate and a few cups of extra batter isn;t going to break me :) wrapped properly and kept frozen, it'll be just as good in a year :)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweety 

wrapped properly and kept frozen, it'll be just as good in a year :)

Absolutely!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 12

Absolutely agree that when "properly wrapped" it will still be good after a year.  My neice in law just recently told me they had eaten their top tier from their wedding a year ago.  I had them freeze the cake and then wrap it tightly in two layers of wrap and put it in a gallon ice cream container to help protect it from bumps.  She said it was just as good as on their wedding day.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 12

My Grandma kept my Mom's wedding cake for years.  Through multiple moves, etc.  And it was probably a 12 inch square.  They brought it out for their 25th anniversary!  A few of the blue flowers had fallen off as well as some of the piping.  But it was as hard as styrofoam!  I love the pics of mom with a pretty knife poised to cut the tiered cake I made for the anniversary and dad with an ax pretending to cut the 25  year old wedding cake.  For years after I moved away from home for any birthday party held at my Grandma's she would save me a big piece of cake in a cool whip container.  She always saved me a piece with lots of flowers on it.  Then the next visit back she would have it thawed in the fridge.  One of the first things I would always do was start eating that still yummy cake.  It was never more than a year old cause I visited regularly but still yummy.  What a great Grandma!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 12

As everyone said, completely your choice. We offer the free anniversary cake (6 inch round) during the month of their one year anniversary. We just ask that they call and give us a few days notice when they are ready for it. Once we get to where we are doing a lot more wedding cakes, we may not be able to keep that up, but for now it works for us and they love it. It seems to set us apart, and every time I tell them about it at the consult, they are really impressed. 

I should mention that we have a storefront, so making a little 6 inch round while making the cupcakes for the case is no big deal. :) 

But ultimately, it's whatever works best for you! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%