Container For Storing Flour

Decorating By Debcent Updated 11 Mar 2013 , 1:30pm by kikiandkyle

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 13

Hi I recently have been going thru lots of flour (all purpose). 

When I was last at the store, I broke down and bought a 25lb bag (oh so much cheaper in the larger quantities), but now I have this delima of how to store all this flour. I don't have a canister that large.  I'm wondering what all of you use to store large amount of flour so it stays fresh.  Or where can I purchase a nice container that is food safe and seals real well.  Oh please offer any advice. Thank you.

Deb:)

12 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 13

AWe use Camsquare containers from Cambro, you should be able to buy them at restaurant supply stores. They are also available online: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001MRVVI/?tag=cakecentral-20

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 13

I use these (similar to what Jason posted) and also bought a few different sizes too.  Bought them at a restaurant supply store but are available online.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0086AP4KM/?tag=cakecentral-20+18+qt

I store them on shelves but when I'm using them I have to keep them up off the floor so to save counter space I use something similar to these:

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Pots-Planters-Planter-Accessories-Planter-Caddies/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc607/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&langId=-1&storeId=10051¤tPLP=true&omni=c_Planter Caddies&searchNav=true#/?c=1&12kx=12kx&12ky=12ky

Debcent Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you Jason and nhbaker.  I will consider these.  My husband just showed me a container he thinks would be great for me. What do you guys think?  I know its used for pet food, do you think it would be okay for flour too?

http://www.petco.com/product/9799/Gamma-Vittles-Vault-Stackables.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Dog-_-Gamma-_-890570&mr:trackingCode=4A6D1416-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=28820625715&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=51515409235

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 13

AI'm sure it will probably be fine, but something seems off about storing flour in a dog food container. Also, the smallest size holds 40 pounds so it might be bigger than you need.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 13

way back before incandescent light bulbs (a long time ago)--i stored my stuff in a very large brand new clean as a whistle garbage can--placed over in the inventory section of my bakery (worked in a big school) next to giant stacks of sacks of flour etc

this was way before we had these great organizational storage boxes available at the drop of a hat-i was quickly growing out of the trash can ;) and was gonna find something better any minute but it was convenient at the time

and someone emptied it for me

hahahahaha

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 13

moral of the story--do it right the first time

icon_biggrin.gif

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 13

Oh, that's funny K8.

I use big Rubbermaid containers. Properly labeled, of course. The health department doesn't seem to have a problem with them, as they have seen them on shelves holding ingredients. The specialty food containers are out of my budget right now, but at some point, I will invest in them.

Aurora42196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora42196 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 6:56am
post #9 of 13

AJust bought a big ol bucket from Winco with a gasket lid. And keep one of those four sized container sets and just refill it. Hth :-)

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 8:07am
post #10 of 13

AWhatever you decide, please make sure it is food safe.

Not sure about that "big ol' bucket" - I hope that it is made of food safe plastic (there are many plastics which are NOT food safe).

Debcent Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 12:45pm
post #11 of 13

I ended up ordering through a restaurant supply store a container Cambro-Like the one Jason recommended. I think I got a nice price for it too.

We will see how it will work out for me.  Thank you all for replying, it was very helpful

Debcent Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 12:51pm
post #12 of 13

I also wanted to ask.  Do you all put your flour in a freezer for 24 hrs after buying it,  before storing it in a container? I read that's what your suppose to do to kill any pests that might have gotten into the bulk flour. Do any of you do this or is this an unnecessary step?

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 13

Sams Club have some large Rubbermaid containers in their catering section which would be good. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%