Why Is My Buttercream Doing This? Help!!!

Decorating By Leahmaria7981 Updated 8 Mar 2013 , 6:03pm by Annabakescakes

Leahmaria7981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahmaria7981 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 4

The last two weeks my buttercream has been giving me a really hard time. I'm making it the same way I have for years and with the same recipe and it's fine for a few hours, but then will start getting kinda like a wrinkled, rippled look once it set for a couple hours. I iced a cake last night and it was perfectly fine when I went to bed, but I wake up and it's got a rippled look to it. Anyone know why its doing this and what could help it not do this? I'm tired of reicing my cakes.

3 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 4

Is it a heavily crusting recipe?  It sounds like if the climate has gotten drier or warmer then the icing needs more fat or liquid.  You could try increasing the fat or adding a bit of corn syrup.

Jimmyca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jimmyca Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 4

It does sound like the climate may be affecting your cake. You might have to tweak your orginal receipe like AnnieCahill stated. Maybe adding more butter or shortening to the recipe might help. You also try whipping the sugar and (butter/shortening) more to get of a sillky texture.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 4

Tht hsppened at the last bakery I worked at, with their scratch icing. I used the same recipe they did, smaller batch, and used cream, rather than water, and mine NEVER did that. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%