3D Cake Pricing Help

Business By schustc Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 3:00pm by schustc

schustc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schustc Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 2:22am
post #1 of 7

Hello all!

I really haven't charged for any cakes I have made, and have only done a handful (less than 10). Mainly for my Daughter's birthday and a couple others here and there.

I'm now considering doing them to sell, because I have had a lot of people ask me about it.

While people are interested, I really don't think they want to spend the money so I'm not sure it's worth it.

I just did my daughter's b-day cake - a dream lite cake this year. I got REALLY tired toward the end and the wings came out kinda icky - but - other than that it looked ok I thought. The cake consisted of 2 half sheets plus a bit more, then carved.

Anyhow - materials alone were probably around $40 - so I just don't know what the going rate for this cake might have been.

for those in the business, can you give me some feedback? the pics are in my profile - please let me know what you think is a fair price for this - and assuming this was done as an 'order' and not for my daughter - i.e., if I had better lettering, and a more finished look for example.

Thank you in advance!

Tina

6 replies
schustc Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 7

i cant get the photo to post

schustc Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 1:39am
post #3 of 7

figured it out - I think it was because I was using Firefox - i was having all kinds of issues.  switched to explorer and no problem.   Anyone have any thougts?

Cake and model all lit up :)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 5:32am
post #4 of 7

APricing will vary depending on where you are located and who you are targeting. Generally you'll want to add up your ingredient costs, labor costs, and overhead costs on a per-order basis (including license fees and insurance), then add markup for profit consistent with market values in your area.

High quality 3-D cakes will often start in the $200-250 range, regardless of number of servings.

schustc Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 7

thank you very much for your input!      It's tough to 'rate' your own quality of work.  I think that's what is so hard.  with a typical cake - one that is not 3D or highly involved - it might be easier to rate price by servings - as you suggest

but all things being equal, number of servings, cost of materials, overhead, etc.  Some 3D cakes will be worth more because they are higher quality.  trying to put a price tag on your own work is rough because you don't know how much your work is worth - I'm just at a loss.  I had someone tell me that $300 minimum would be fair for the cake - but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that - that someone would actually PAY that.   considering the labor and materials involved, 300 seems pretty fair.  but since I'm not perfect, should I consider less?

it's so hard.  a matrix I don't think would help in this case.  All things being equal, one cake may look GREAT, and another so-so, and another bad.   At a loss.

thank you for your help!

jamt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamt Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 7

You have to consider your ability, what people will pay for comparable cakes in your city, (all cities are different), and what your time is worth to you.  I usually offer the price I expect for a cake, no matter what, and then offer a different style of cake in case they need to "trim" their budget.  It's their choice... pay for it, or get something different.  (Some say 3x materials is a good starting price...  But consider HOURS spent, too!)

schustc Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 7

ok  ty...    this was for my daughter and i was strapped for time.   the wings and cake board/writing were my weak points.   I think anyhow.  on a scale of 1 to 10, what kind of rating do you think?  this will help me figure where i stand for pricing purposes.    if the wings were better, and board/writing nicer too..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%