Support Help With Giant Cupcake Cake

Decorating By MissCuteCupcakes Updated 11 Mar 2013 , 5:29pm by MissCuteCupcakes

MissCuteCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 4

I'm in the process of making a cake similar to this http://www.boobooska.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/grid-8/images/users/16/giant-cupcake-cake-with-polka-dots.jpg

I will be making a chocolate candy shell for the bottom portion of the cake. I plan on putting a cake board between the 8" cake and the bottom of the cupcake but I am concerned. I would like to put a central dowel through the entire cake (from the top of the cupcake to the bottom cake board)

But I want to know will that affect the candy shell when I insert the center dowel??? Will it cause cracking and mess up the support of the cake?

3 replies
GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 4

drill a hole in the center/bottom of the candy shell, so that when you insert the dowel, it just goes straight through cake.  Don't worry about making a hole just small enough for the dowel.....make it large enough so that there's no way you will miss it when poking down through the cakes.

GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChick 

drill a hole in the center/bottom of the candy shell, so that when you insert the dowel, it just goes straight through cake.  Don't worry about making a hole just small enough for the dowel.....make it large enough so that there's no way you will miss it when poking down through the cakes.

About the size of the yellow circle....it won't mess with the support function of the candy shell, but it's large enough to not have to worry about getting your dowel in JUST the absolute perfect spot when poking through.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75

MissCuteCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the input, I made the cake and completely forgot about pre-drilling a hole into the chocolate shell so I went ahead and sharpened a dowel rod, and put it through the cake like I normally do (with fingers crossed) and it went all the way through :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%