Which One Is Better?

Decorating By amyrichey24 Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 9:26am by Wivacherryontop

amyrichey24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyrichey24 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 8

I'm going to be making a cake at the end of the month, and I need to use either modeling chocolate, or fondant...both of which I haven't used before. Which one is easier to work with? I need different colors, so does the modeling chocolate come in different colors? I'm kinda lost. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

7 replies
meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 8

AHello Amy, It really depends on what your doing with it and what you would like to achieve. To cover a cake you can use both, but white chocolate won't really be white but a creamy colour. So if you would like a white base fondant would be better. For decorations you can use both too. You can colour modelling chocolate but it will be easier to do this with fondant. Again depends on what you would like to achieve. I find modelling chocolate to be softer and way tastier than fondant, but then it's more expensive. Hope this helps in some way.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 8

AAre you wanting to cover the cake with it or are you using it as accents(if so, what are you trying to do?)? Is hard to a answer your question without more information.

amyrichey24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyrichey24 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 8

ANo, i dont want to cover the cake. I'm going to be making a little mermaid cake and just need something for the accents.where do you even find modeling chocolate? I haven't been able to find it

meriem Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 8

AYou can definitely do that with modelling chocolate, I will lean towards fondant just because its more readily available for me, but for taste I would go with modelling chocolate. Not sure where you live, I'm in the UK and i buy mine online from Tracey's cakes. But you can always make your own, plenty of recipes on CC and YouTube.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 8

AIt depends on the type of accent you're doing(and also personal preference). I tend to lean towards modeling chocolate. It's easy to make and tastes better. Lauren kitchens has a great YouTube video on how and how not to make modeling chocolate.

meriem Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 8

AJust checked out the video, it is really good. I love modelling chocolate but I just can't seem to find corn syrup where I live to make it myself. It turns out to be really expensive when I buy it ready made, so I don't get to use it unless for a special cake. But that's just my student wallet speaking lol so probably not applicable if you have a business and can add the extra cost to the price of the cake

Wivacherryontop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wivacherryontop Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:26am
post #8 of 8

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2944810/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

This is my first ever cake, yay. I made it for the 6 March for my daughter's 25th, yes 25th Birthday! I learned loads believe me. One of the best things I did was join this web site. The people on here are so generous with help, time and support. However personally this is my first post also.

The second best thing I did was use home made modeling chocolate. Virtually every thing (figurines) are made from modelling chocolate. I swear by it. It is easy to colour, lovely to work with, and inexpensive to make. I wish you heaps of luck and hope you find what is right for you. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%