Flavour Question - Gin?

Baking By stephkelseyx Updated 7 Mar 2013 , 1:10am by -K8memphis

stephkelseyx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephkelseyx Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 8:04am
post #1 of 3

AHi,

I am making a cake for a good friend's birthday this weekend and was hoping to do a twist on one of her favourite cocktails which involves gin, elderflower and apple. I really want to incorporate the gin but am unsure where the flavour would come through best as I don't drink it! Has anyone ever made a gin cake or gin buttercream? I'm not adverse to combining two flavours in one (e.g. elderflower cake, apple and gin buttercream) but I'm just looking for opinions as to where you think it will work best!

Thanks, Steph

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:06am
post #2 of 3

i'm not sure but i like to add liqueurs in a simple syrup splash brushed onto the baked cake when you assemble the layers so the same should work for gin

i think i would do an apple cake with an elderflower filling

is that the same as elderberry?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:10am
post #3 of 3

oh wow--there's an elderflower liqueur--you obviously already knew this--but i just googled to find out about elderflower versus elderberry

i'm sure you could do each flavor in a splash to get them surely but subtly in the cake

you don't want to hot spot the cake with alcohol so you might want to add the flavors when the simple syrup is still boiling to reduce the amount of alcohol--but of course be careful because it poofs up and boils hard--steams a lot--so be careful with it

this is just an idea

plenty of ways to do it--this is how i'd do it though probably

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%