Help Me Avoid Posting Off-Topic!

Lounge By jason_kraft Updated 6 Mar 2013 , 12:37am by SystemMod1

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:53pm
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChick 

I don't find it egotistical. He was told he'd been doing something that he was obviously unaware was rubbing people the wrong way.   If someone told me that I was doing something that irritated others, I'd want to know what it was so I'd be able to correct it...or at the very least, explain it.  Having read the original posts that brought him to this, I can understand why he'd want to know.  Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but that's how it came across to me.

I certainly can understand your point of view but on a forum like this you will always rub someone the wrong way. With such a high member count someone will always read the post or comment wrong and in my eyes he knows this, he has been here long enough to know that. Some have been on here so long that they dislike each other for different reasons.. I read so many posts on here and most of us say have a thicker skin in this business. Jason is not the type to be hurt by someone's comments because he is a confidant man (which he should be). He is a very smart man when it comes to business, very much educated in the law as well. This is something he is use to , so my question is why care now? There is more to this than just wanting to know about his posting habits sorry by psych background reads this differently.

GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:09pm
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Sweet 

I certainly can understand your point of view but on a forum like this you will always rub someone the wrong way. With such a high member count someone will always read the post or comment wrong and in my eyes he knows this, he has been here long enough to know that. Some have been on here so long that they dislike each other for different reasons.. I read so many posts on here and most of us say have a thicker skin in this business. Jason is not the type to be hurt by someone's comments because he is a confidant man (which he should be). He is a very smart man when it comes to business, very much educated in the law as well. This is something he is use to , so my question is why care now? There is more to this than just wanting to know about his posting habits sorry by psych background reads this differently.

It's very true that the written word can be read one way by one person and be completely misconstrued by someone else.  I guess that's just part of the whole social media thing.  From a "psych" point of view, I totally see what you're saying.  It could come across as though he is asking for an ego stroke...I get it.  To answer your question as to "why now", though...the topic came up in a thread (in which I was the OP), just before he posted this thread.

Rather amusing.... this is sort of like talking about someone as though they're not there (here).

Izzy Sweet Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:20pm
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChick 

It's very true that the written word can be read one way by one person and be completely misconstrued by someone else.  I guess that's just part of the whole social media thing.  From a "psych" point of view, I totally see what you're saying.  It could come across as though he is asking for an ego stroke...I get it.  To answer your question as to "why now", though...the topic came up in a thread (in which I was the OP), just before he posted this thread.

Rather amusing.... this is sort of like talking about someone as though they're not there (here).

Ok I get it now, I do not get on here much during the weekends or as of late (relocating the shop) so I did not see that post.I am sure I will come across that in my reading today. My "why now " is because this is not the first time someone has put his name beside a definition if you will. He has never cared before now so that was the why now. I have read many posts with Jason commenting and people have spoken their opinion about him and he never cared. Maybe it has finally gotten to him, I don't know.

I want to touch on just one more thing and please do not read this wrong anybody. Jason you want us to list what posts and examples well that would be very hard. That type of thing would go into your short term memory which does not hold things very long. The short term memory part of the brain can only hold a handful of memories in it so those memories are constantly being replaced. I should hope you are not so important to someone to keep them up at nights that they would put it in their long term memory. When a person is put on the spot and someone says give me an example 90% of the time you will never get that example.Our memory does not work that way when it is put on the spot.

Izzy Sweet Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:22pm
post #34 of 45

OMG Gixxer are you talking about that 10 page post..Holy poo I will have to get myself a coffee and sit in for the long haul to read this lol..You stirred something up and now I am intrigued.

GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:29pm
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Sweet 

OMG Gixxer are you talking about that 10 page post..Holy poo I will have to get myself a coffee and sit in for the long haul to read this lol..You stirred something up and now I am intrigued.

LOL  Yeah, it started out as just a post to vent my early morning, pre-coffee frustrations, and turned into something rather amusing.  It's a good read....you should enjoy it.  Most of it is very light hearted.  I must warn you though....there's a good possibility that you'll have coffee spewing out your nose before you're finished. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:52pm
post #36 of 45

Ah ha ha! Speaking of written text not being understood, some dude commented on a cake I posted yesterday as effectively looking like toilet paper at first. Now, he said "at first", and you could tell he was joking, and laughed about it. (Nevermind that it was painted and wasn't stark white.....um, yeah.)

So I replied with "oh lol, I can totally understand making that mistake because my toilet paper has trees and scenery painted on it too!"icon_lol.gif I even put a cheesy smiley at the end. He got all bent and said "I guess you don't know how to laugh." ((sigh)) Really?icon_eek.gif So then I made this. icon_twisted.gif

Izzy Sweet Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:59pm
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Ah ha ha! Speaking of written text not being understood, some dude commented on a cake I posted yesterday as effectively looking like toilet paper at first. Now, he said "at first", and you could tell he was joking, and laughed about it. (Nevermind that it was painted and wasn't stark white.....um, yeah.)

So I replied with "oh lol, I can totally understand making that mistake because my toilet paper has trees and scenery painted on it too!"icon_lol.gif I even put a cheesy smiley at the end. He got all bent and said "I guess you don't know how to laugh." ((sigh)) Really?icon_eek.gif So then I made this. icon_twisted.gif

OMG BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Is that toilet paper clean or should I move to the next stall.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:37pm
post #38 of 45

Hi Jason;   I don't mind your posts.  You are logical and like to start from the beginning. Not just give blanket answers.  You try to get people to think it through and figure it out themselves.  Like my Dad.  I think people get offended because they just want the answer, they don't want to know how or why the answer is X.  Maybe people think you sound like their parent,  LOL.   Maybe its because there are a lot more women on here then men.  Women can be emotional, men can be more logical. (I'm not trying to make a new troublesome topic -- LOL  Just pointing out the facts)  Anyway I think your attempt to help is taken the wrong way.  I think if you post a reply in a topic and people don't like it they should just ignore it.  Maybe people need to grow up.  Anyway, just my opinion.  I know I'm going to pay for this comment.   icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:46pm
post #39 of 45

AHonestly, I was going back and forth about whether or not to start this thread. I realize the anti-Jason crowd is a tiny minority, but seeing multiple people mention my frequent "off-topic" posting in the other thread as if it was a fact made me a little curious.

The other catalyst for this thread was a recent PM exchange I had with a moderator. There was another thread that had taken an off-topic turn which several people participated in, and my post was the only one removed. I replied to the mod asking for more information about what the rules are and why some other OT posts were not removed. The mod got defensive and told me that my sole purpose here is to "attack and debate people" and that I constantly bring up off-topic legal issues in threads that do not warrant it.

Since mods are supposed to be impartial, I thought the problem might be on my end, but I suppose it's also possible this particular mod is letting her personal opinions affect her moderating duties.

Izzy Sweet Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:00pm
post #40 of 45

I am not anti Jason or team Jason I just spew what's on my mind, sometimes it is right sometimes it is wrong.I do not pick sides because highschool is over for me and I want to keep it in the past lol. Jason I believe I have disagreed with you a couple times on here and we always had a healthy debate and let each other see where the other was coming from and thinking. I can see where people are saying that you get off topic sometimes and so does everyone else. Most of us are on here because we have the hands on experience and you are unique on this forum with not the hands on so to speak but the legal part of it.I have read some posts about someone selling cakes out of their home and asking little things like delivery and you do comment with "is your business legal". However you are not the only one who asks that question but you are looked at more because of your long time membership to this site. You are looked at more because what you have to offer is not baking but legal (not saying that is a bad thing at all, just trying to explain a little). In my short period here I have seen so many posts get off topic by many (me included) sometimes it is funny sometimes it gets way too serious and makes a strong person like myself want to bolt right out of here. I think the finger is being pointed at you because when a post is about the baking aspect of it and you comment with a legal answer that does not answer the question at hand.

No two people are alike so we all read things differently and perhaps people are not seeing your way of reading the question. I know when there is a question and I can help with the answer I comment right away because I like to help, it is in my nature. Maybe you are the same way but not coming out in that way because of the tone that we read it in.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:01pm
post #41 of 45

Bingo Jason.    Business isn't personal.  You can't let your personal feelings and views over shadow the facts.  And that is exactly what people are doing, and you are just pointing that out to them and they don't like it.

If you don't like someones opinion or views on your situation, just ignore them and move forward in your own direction.  I find a lot of posts from the newer crowd are looking for others more experienced to hold them up, do the thinking and work for them.  I won't even respond to them. I had to do my own work and so should they.  When you ask for help and opinions you have to expect you will get a wide variety.  That is the way life is.  We all have different experiences and will have different answers.

I wouldn't even worry about it Jason.  If someone is offended by your comments then just walk away.  Let them figure it out themselves.  I've offended people asking about Gluten Free cakes.  I just laughed and didn't respond anymore.  I have a lot of experience in this subject, it's my whole life.  But they chewed my head off, so what ever, they can figure it out themselves.

Cheers!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:19pm
post #42 of 45

A

Original message sent by Izzy Sweet

I have read some posts about someone selling cakes out of their home and asking little things like delivery and you do comment with "is your business legal".

That's the thing, I do my best to make sure the thread is related to business or selling a product before I mention anything related to legal compliance. I also frame it as an FYI, either explicitly ("make sure you look into the laws in your area") or implicitly ("how much are you spending in license fees?" if the thread is related to pricing). To me, flat out asking "are you legal?" sounds a little rude and demanding.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:51pm
post #43 of 45

A

Original message sent by MsGF

Maybe people think you sound like their parent,  LOL.  

Haha, this! I think sometimes people just want to be given the fish and not taught how to fish, ya know? Still topic-related to me though.

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 11:51pm
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Your posts don't seem off topic to me. I'm sure there are people who think your posts are [fill in the less than flattering blank] because they don't want to hear what you're saying.

^^^^^  This!  

As long as I have been here, I have never read a thread where you were off-topic.  You are actually quite straight-forward and helpful.  I like rainbows and unicorns, but not when I am reading in a business forum. 

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 12:37am
post #45 of 45

I think this thread has run it's course.  Thank you for participating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%