Making Even Fondant Snake Rolls?

Decorating By Jenmen Updated 27 Feb 2013 , 10:29pm by AZCouture

Jenmen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmen Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 4:15am
post #1 of 12

How to you make long, even snake-strip type rolls.  I can never get mine to look even.  I tried a clay extractor tool - but that didn't work.  I want to roll the fondant to cover seams, but it just looks uneven.  Any tricks or advice?

11 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 4:29am
post #2 of 12

I use a clay extractor... what do you mean it didn't work? Was it not giving you an even rope?

Jenmen Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 4:46am
post #3 of 12

Maybe I don't have the right kind of clay extractor. It is very difficult to push the fondant out. . .and when I do. . .it is definitely not smooth.  It comes out "rough" looking.  Is there a better type of extractor I can get.  I think I bought mine at Michaels in the clay tools section.  Or - is there something I should do to the extractor to prepare it for fondant so that it comes out clean looking? 

Jenmen Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 4:47am
post #4 of 12

Maybe I don't have the right kind of clay extractor. It is very difficult to push the fondant out. . .and when I do. . .it is definitely not smooth. It comes out "rough" looking. Is there a better type of extractor I can get. I think I bought mine at Michaels in the clay tools section. Or - is there something I should do to the extractor to prepare it for fondant so that it comes out clean looking?

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 6:48am
post #5 of 12

I found with mine that I have to make sure I incorporate a good amount of shortening into the fondant or gumpaste as well as grease up the outside of the piece of fondant or gumpaste before putting it in the extractor tube.   Not TOO much, but enough that it's pliable and slippery.  That might help...?

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 6:58am
post #6 of 12

Du you have the kind you push or the kind that turns? I threw away my one that pushed, it was useless.

I also add a little shortening, or microwave the fondant for a few seconds to soften it up.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 12

Use your smoother and roll the fondant back and forth on your work surface.

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Du you have the kind you push or the kind that turns? I threw away my one that pushed, it was useless.

I also add a little shortening, or microwave the fondant for a few seconds to soften it up.

I have the one that pushes out and its sitting collecting dust. I didn't knew there is another kind too that turns.. Now to find that one..

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 12

just roll it between two dowel the same size you want your finished snake

easy peasy

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 12

#1) microwave your fondant (just a little) before you extrude it and it will come out like a dream (but you have to work quickly)

#2) as Godot said, use your fondant smoother (or cake board or any other flat surface) to roll out your snake.  It is very easy and will make all the difference in the world.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 12

My green Mickens one from Hobby Lobby sat on the shelf until I read here on CC how to prepare my fondant.   Now I love love love it!    It used to crank really hard...quite impossible, and my fondant was cracked....then I kneeded in crisco and I heard angels sing....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

Use your smoother and roll the fondant back and forth on your work surface.

This is what I do for larger letters or when I need tapered ends and larger middles. I'll angle the roller towards the ends and make them taper. I love LOVE LOVE making letters. For smaller names and letters, I extrude gp or fondant with my Makins.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%