Fondant And Ganache Melting Disaster

Decorating By Leishira Updated 26 Feb 2013 , 6:45am by mcaulir

Leishira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leishira Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake that is due in a few hours, and it is a complete disaster. I don't know what to do, this has never happened before. This is for my first paying customer too!

I had my cake torted and ganached it was completely straight all around. I had it in the fridge to set the ganache, now after having covered it with fondant, the fondant sweated, and has pretty much melted, air bubbles have formed everywhere, and it appears as though the lovely ganache underneath is melting too, the once straight edges appear to be collapsing. This was just a simple 9 inch round cake, and I never anticipated such a mess, I'm at a loss to know what to do. 

The weather where I am has been stormy and humid all weekend, which I think has something to do with it, but can it really have such a profound effect on my cake?

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.

8 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 9

AAbsolutely, weather can affect your fondant. I've had to decorate for a few minutes at a time in an open fridge door because if I took the cake out, it would sweat & leak all over. So sorry to hear about your problem, it's heartbreaking to see this happen when you work so hard on something. I just don't know how to 'fix' it, other than keep it in the fridge?

Leishira Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you for the reply and sympathy IAmPamCakes, it is quite heartbreaking yes!

I'm afraid of putting it in the fridge because I have already covered it with fondant. Do you think that if I refrigerate it, it will again sweat and melt when taken back out later on?

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 9

AIt likely will, if your weather hasn't changed. Maybe when you take it out, put it in a heavy box lined with towels or something to insulate and absorb moisture? I saw that on a show once and it seemed to work in their situation. I wish I could be more help. Good luck

Leishira Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you. :)

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 9

I refrigerate all my cakes - even the ones coved with fondant (I also use ganache under my fondant).  The cakes will sweat when you take them out of the fridge.  Just don't touch them until they have dried and everything will be fine.

You make what to make a stiffer ganache next time and roll your fondant thinner.  My fondant is 1/16" thick when I cover a cake.

AtomicBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AtomicBakes Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 9

You can also try putting a small bowl of baking soda in the box with the cake. The soda helps to absorb excess moisture. I live in humid south Louisiana, so plenty of cake sweating issues down here. A small fan directed at your cake will help the moisture evaporate. I don't refrigerate ganache/fondant cakes (no real need to, though in your case I understand sweating was due to applying the fondant to a cake that was chilled to set the ganache), but I do make perishable fillings usually, so my cakes get refrigerated. The fan really helps.

Leishira Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 1:07am
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much for the tips everyone. By God's Mercy everything turned out okay in the end, and they client was so happy. He rang to thank us and his partner sent us a really sweet thank you note.

It really looked like it would not be salvageable, however we decided to move the cake in to our air conditioned living room, and it slowly dried out, we then got rid of the air bubbles as best we could, and added all our other pieces. It was no where near what we wanted to give them and me and my sister (we bake together) were so disappointed, but the reaction from the client made every stress we experienced worth it in the end. Giving joy to someone is so priceless!

Thanks again for all the tips everyone, they are duly noted. :)

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 6:45am
post #9 of 9

Yes - aircon dries out the air and negates the effect of the humidity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%