Koolaid Flavored Buttercream

Baking By kakesbykatie1 Updated 25 Apr 2013 , 6:30am by KathleenC

kakesbykatie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbykatie1 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 9

AI haven't had a lot of experience but I'm curious if u could add some koolaid to buttercream to color and flavor the buttercream. I've seen it done with royal icing. Would it change the texture?

8 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 9

I can't imagine how the butter cream making process is going to dissolve the grit from the kool-aid..?? Maybe someone else made it before to join the conversation.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 9

This is exactly what they're selling in the stores now - - the flavoring you add to a can of frosting (*shudder*.  All it is is kool aid powder.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 9

If you are worried about the powder not dissolving into the buttercream, you could always melt the powder into the liquid you are using to begin with... warm up the liquid and add the powder...

kakesbykatie1 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 9

AHonestly I didn't even think about the grit. I was thinking about the gelatin forming a weird texture and make it impossible to pipe or spread. I may have to test it out.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 9

AThere's gelatin in koolaid?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 9

Yes.  Use the one that doesn't already have a sweetner added.  Warm the liquid just enough to melt the powder.  It also works better if you make your buttercream a day in advance.  That way any grit left will dissolve.  Give it one more good beating before you use it.  I usually use the tropical fruit flavor to give my ABC a bubble gum flavor for kids cakes.  I've also used it with Charlotte's whipped cream buttercream and add it to the boiling water before I whip the meringue powder.

kakesbykatie1 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 9

AThanks everyone! I can't wait to try it! Omg what was I thinking. I was confusing jello and koolaid. I meant koolaid lol. Ugh in tired!!! Lol

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 6:30am
post #9 of 9

I know this is an older thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has added Kool Aid to SMBC?  If so, when do you add it?  Because there's no liquid to add the powder to, I'm concerned about grittiness.

Is it possible to disolve a bit of the kool aid powder in some milk, and then mix that into the completed SMBC?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%